Variable completion

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ic2

Variable completion

Post by ic2 »

In VO, when you have declared a variable, it is suggested when you type the 1st few characters and you can then autocomplete it.

In VS/X# this doesn't work which is a major drawback compared to VO. This, I think, is not something you can get it working in X#, am I right?

It doesn't work either in C#. If you look at at posts about that, but these go the usual Microsoft way. First they are moved, then they 'duplicate to an existing question and once you look up that question it is closed without a reason.

E.g.:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio ... on/1108309
https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/39538

Microsoft engineers are only allowed to change the "look and feel" about once a year. They are not there to actually improve anything.

Dick
robert

Variable completion

Post by robert »

Dick,
We had something like that in an alpha version of 2.9.
We were not only auto-completing variables but also instance variables , namespaces, types etc.
We had to disable that because of some performance problems but plan to fix and include that in one of the next builds.

Btw I think the issues for C# are different. In these issues the customers wanted the IDE to suggest a name for them, not include an existing name from the current context.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Variable completion

Post by ic2 »

Hello Robert,
If the performance problems are over (with a bit of luck in this version already) it would be great if it can be reintroduced, maybe with a setting to be on the safe side.

After that you should probably sell this option to Microsoft to include it in C# 11. If you also warp it up with some Windows 11 style colours or icons, I estimate you should be able to earn 50-60 million dollars. Without any graphic changes it's worth nothing for Microsoft.

Dick