Cannot install the VS 2017 documentation because the Help viewer Component...

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ic2

Post by ic2 »

What I write below is for info only; in case others encounter the same:

I just installed XSharpSetup0210Fox.exe. In the checked components, one box says:

Cannot install the VS 2017 documentation because the Help viewer Component is not installed.
To fix that, run the VS 2017 installer, Setup, Code tools, check Help ViewerIndividual components and click Modify.

After that, of course, the installation of VS fails once again

Incomplete components
Help Viewer (Microsoft.Component.HelpViewer,version=15.0.26208.0)
blablabla
MSI: C:ProgramDataMicrosoftVisualStudioPackagesMicrosoft.VisualStudio.Help.Configuration.Msi,version=15.0.26208.0,language=en-USMicrosoft.VisualStudio.Help.Configuration.Msi.msi, Properties: REBOOT=ReallySuppress ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1 MSIFASTINSTALL="7" VSEXTUI="1"
Return code: 1303
Return code details: The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:ProgramDataMicrosoftHelpLibrary2CatalogsVisualStudio15. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator.

This, I learned Friday, can most likely be fixed by renaming the whole Helplibrary2 directory. Before installing I ran another VS update and this bunch of MS amateurs apparently was still unable to fix what would never go wrong in the installer of even a beginning programmer...but anyway, X# appeared in VS 2017 so let's see if I can get things going!

Dick
robert

Post by robert »

Dick,

I am glad that the X# installer worked, and detected the absence of the Help Viewer.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
GregG

Post by GregG »

Hi Dick,

I had to install the Help Viewer component from the Visual Studio Installer -> Individual Components tab as described here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/microsoft-help-viewer-installation

Thanks,

Greg
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Thanks Greg,

I had missed this when I installed VS 2017 previously.

I followed your advice and link last evening and now I have a local version of Help Viewer 2.3 on my Desktop main PC.

GREAT !

Thanks for the tip.
Phil.