Error message X# vs VO

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ic2

Error message X# vs VO

Post by ic2 »

Consider this:

Instead of

Code: Select all

AAdd(aError,"Some string")
I typed

Code: Select all

AAdd(aError("Some string")
(I added the capitalization of AAdd, X# doesn't do that unfortunately)

If I make the same mistake in VO, I get 2 clear errors on the same line so I know immediately what I've done wrong:
entity AERROR is unknown: 51121
bad function call: 51138

In X# I get:
Error XS9002 Parser: unexpected CRLF, are you missing a token ?

so I've no idea what is actually wrong.

Would it be possible to improve compiler errors more towards the level we are used to in VO?

Dick
Chris

Error message X# vs VO

Post by Chris »

Hi Dick,

Yes, it's on the list to improve such error messages. The difference between VO and X# is that VO uses a hand written parser, while X# uses a rules based one. The disadvantage of VO's one is that in a lot of cases it allows to compile things that should not be allowed to compile in the first place and do not make sense. The main disadvantage of X#'s one is exactly that, it's not easy to make it report good enough parser error messages. But Robert and Nikos are working on that.

Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
ic2

Error message X# vs VO

Post by ic2 »

Hello Chris,

Good to know. It's probably not the most urgent thing to do but gradually closing the gap between VO and X# on the whole is important.

I can imagine that a tighter compiler is more important than clear errors, but unfortunately unhelpful errors are more visible for a programmer than absent compiler errors which should have been there. :unsure:

DIck
Chris

Error message X# vs VO

Post by Chris »

Yeah, agreed with that!

Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu