(moved) - Getting going with SQL server and X# - from Examples

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Michael and others,

I will continue in this Forum area to discuss how to get into SQL Server - acquiring the right tools and moving towards our own code in X# syntax to access and create data in SQL tables.

Here is a starting image - installing a new version of the free MS Management Studio 17 and attaching a supplied database named "StockCodeFirst_L2S", which I will supply. We will find out later what 'Code First' means, as well as 'Linq to SQL' (L2S).
SQLsupport_01.jpg
SQLsupport_01.jpg (78.06 KiB) Viewed 187 times
For those who are interested in such matters, I am now going to set up a Windows 10 'Hyper-V' virtual machine to keep all my VS 2017, SQL Server 2016, Management Studio 17, and other stuff quite separate to the rest of my desktop general purpose stuff. That way I may be able to get a working 'clean' VS 2017 Enterprise installation up and running - I have currently over-used the Installer for VS 2017 and nothing works except VS 2015 Pro.

Fingers crossed.
Phil.
Wales, UK.

P.S. as a first try to provide a suitable small database, try this 'RARed' file pair :-
StockZipTest.zip
(431.38 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
please inform me if something seems to be wrong etc. ...........
beerhand

Post by beerhand »

Hi Phil,

I have tried another version of SQL Server but it still causes a crash for my VO 2.6 setup. Right now I am on WIN 10 Home and cannot istall Hyper V. Need to look for an alternative or check to upgradse to WIN 10 Pro.

I thought I was ready...Need a little bit more time to find a solution.

As soon as I am ready I send a note.

Michael
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Michael,

Take care with what you install and change - there is always more too things than meets the eye !

You need a stable Windows 10 set-up on which to build. I suggest a x64 version if your hardware will allow it, and you also need plenty of free disk space.

Can you get a version above 'Home' ? There my be restrictions to a 'Home' edition which may bite you (us) later.

And for now, do not go anywhere near 'Hyper-V'. If you are having issues with SQL Server on standard Windows then we don't need more issues ;-0) I am using Hyper-V as a last ditch solution to my VS 2017 install problems, no other reason. And I have done a lot of previous work with Hyper-V, which should help.

I am surprised you are having issues, as MSSS has always behaved well for me on O/S even before Vista. What other old software have you got installed ?

Speak again soon,
Cheers,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
beerhand

Post by beerhand »

Hi Phil,

as of now I am just experiencing issues with VO (but haven't tested all apps yet). I am currently checking if i can upgrade to PRO (without spending €155 in the MS Shop). I have tried this a few months ago but MS told me I need to install completly new. Now I found out that it might be possible to upgrade from OEM Home to PRO without a complete reinstall.

I think my machine is well equiped. As soon as I have more information I will let you know.

Regards,
Michaeö
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Michael and all interested guys,

Before I sign off tonight to watch some Premiere League football, I would like to tell you that I now have a working Virtual machine (VM) on my desktop PC.

The x64 Windows 10 VM now has two versions of SQL Server installed and available. The Management Studio 'tool' see both as does the VS 2017 install of the Professional version.
Vm_testSQLvers_04.jpg
Vm_testSQLvers_04.jpg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 187 times
The MDF files seen below the blue highlight are my own test demo data files copied into the VM to folder 'C:Temp' which has had the accessibility set to full control. See below :-
Vm_testSQLvers_05.jpg
Vm_testSQLvers_05.jpg (139.16 KiB) Viewed 187 times
And below is the VS 2017 IDE :-
Vm_testSQLvers_11.jpg
Vm_testSQLvers_11.jpg (77.21 KiB) Viewed 187 times
We should now be able to move forward after testing the access to the test/demo MDFs.

Moving forward means we can start to write X# code to access existing data, and then move on to another test app to create new tables and more data.

I hope this interests a few of you out there, and maybe some who fancy trying a Hyper-V virtual machine as well ;-0)

Cheers,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
beerhand

Post by beerhand »

Hi Phil,

I am also making some progress. I have upgraded my WIN 10 home to Pro for a few €'s. Next step is installing a VM with VS 2017 und SQL Server. Based on your note this seems to work fine. I should be ready by tomorrow and will let you know.

Enjoy soccer (assuming it is not the US "football"). What is your team?

Cheers
Michael