XSharp Power Tools 2022 - Visual Studio extension

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
VR

Post by VR »

Today I released the XSharp Power Tools 2022 for Visual Studio 2022 on the visual studio market place.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/it ... rTools2022
FFF

Post by FFF »

Well.
Who is "we"?
What is PT2022?
Where to get it?
Why would i want to get it/use it?
Really a "how to fail an anouncement", sorry.
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
VR

Post by VR »

The XSharp Power Tools were "announced" some time ago in the following post. This is just an update, that the extension now works also on visual studio 2022.

https://www.xsharp.eu/forum/public-chit ... -extension
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Karl,

Volkmar introduced the tools in this message:

https://www.xsharp.eu/forum/public-chit ... sion#19445

I can imagine that if you missed that, this update message comes a bit 'out of the blue'.

I did read it back in August and this message reminds me to further check it out.

Thanks Volkmar for your work.

Dick
FFF

Post by FFF »

Volkmar, Dick,
guys, it's great that someone adds to the x# ecosystem. But if so, it should _reach_ the audience, the passer by, the google searcher - do you really believe, folks remember postings from 7 months ago? That might barely work on other forum-software, which structures more treelike (or in good ol' newsgroups, using a decent reader) but here there's no chance, and that's a pity.
Regards
Karl
robert

Post by robert »

Karl,

I know things can be improved here, but now you are being unreasonable harsh on the forum software.
If you go to the Search tab in the forum software and enter the keywords "Power Tools" you will find this thread and the thread in which the earlier version of this tool was announced.
If you search "in titles" you will find 12 hits. If you search in "entire posts" you will find more hits, but the title search works best in this case.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Robert,

I agree that the forum software is pretty useful. I would still prefer to be able to have the messages off line, like with the Newsgroup, as every access in on line sites and forums will get lost once the users stops with it. So basically I second Karl's thoughts about good old newsgroups, but also in a NG someone posts messages which are unrelated to an earlier post.

There are lots of developments which are interesting and even with a good system to find things back I am sure that everyone, like me, more than once miss something useful because it went forgotten again....

Now we are talking about forums, Robert, is it easy to switch off the tooltip on the messages in the Home page? I always right click the unread messages and read them from the tabs they opened in, but often the first attempt to right click fails which I believe could be because of the tooltip. Not sure however, but the tooltip isn't very useful anyway.

Dick
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Volkmar,

As written your post reminded me that I installed it (but didn't use it so far). I checked everything but either something is missing or I overlook it: how can I find methods matching the search key?

With p (searchkey) I do get functions, with only the search key I can find classes resp namespaces but for me the most useful thing would be the filter methods and quickly go to them, so I don';t have to use that dreadful search system of VS.

A next question would be if it is difficult to use it for other VS content, so I can use it for my C# VS solutions as well?

Dick
VR

Post by VR »

In hindside, it would have been better to add this announcement to the old post.

Volkmar
FFF

Post by FFF »

Yes. But OTOH, that wouldn't cure the "invisibility" problem.
@Robert, couldn't we have a e.g. "Tools" entry in the main menu? Volkmar's project could get linked into Downloads/Third party, but IMHO this is still far to hidden. There are quite some projects around X#, but they are rather scattered, Wolfgangs', Fab's, Dick's, Volkmar's contributions etc. - to make them visible, we'd need one place to bind them all ;-)
Regards
Karl