Visual Studio 2017 with Beta 11 - some issues to report >

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Robert and the Team (and all),

As you know I have been doing Forum related work with a Virtual Machine and a clean installation of VS 2017 and related software, latest X# as well. Things have gone quite well.

However, I have noticed a couple of things which I feel I should report back to you - one is more of a "show stopper" than the other.

First the lesser problem :- If I add a new folder to my project (in the SE pane) and then decide to delete (remove) it, all seems well and it goes from the SE pane. However, if I then try to add the same (named) folder back again, I get a message from the VS system saying that the folder already exists. Looking with 'File Explorer' it certainly still exists in the project folder on disk.

I know the above situation is a bit odd - BUT - it does look as if Delete does a 'soft' remove but NOT a 'hard' remove. Meaning the solution/project appears not to have it BUT the file system does know about it. I hit this issue yesterday, survived by fiddling!

Secondly, the more difficult to get around problem / issue. Yesterday I was trying to add a 'Click' event to a Button in my WPF form - see below :-
ClickLock_01.jpg
ClickLock_01.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 308 times
The XAML text editor and the whole of the VS IDE seems to lock up, and I have to use task manager to close VS, and any recent changes are lost. It locks forever it would seem :-
ClickLock_02.jpg
ClickLock_02.jpg (52 KiB) Viewed 308 times
This is a bit of a show stopper for new guys to VS, WPF and X#. I have a way around this BUT ;-0((

I write a comment line in XAML in which I embed the whole new 'Click' text - then copy and paste it into the attributes list for the Button. It does not appear to need the event handler to be there first, before the text 'fiddle', but I feel/think/remember I usually do make the code method before pasting.
ClickLock_03.jpg
ClickLock_03.jpg (28.04 KiB) Viewed 308 times
In earlier VS integrations this Click event entry did nothing behind the scenes but did not lock, and later ones (integrations) introduced this effect - it appears still to be there.

It would also appear as if the system behind the XAML editing (a parser plus?) is trying to insert .NET code of X# syntax to create a stub for the event handler. And somewhere along the line it is hitting a brick wall.

This is rather critical and crucial for WPF work so it may be good to put it as high up the list of 'to dos' as possible ;-0) MVVM does not do events like this but everything else non-MVVM does.

Thanks for listening,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Phil,

I can reproduce the problem, thanks a lot for reporting it! I am sure Robert or Fabrice will be able to fix it.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
robert

Post by robert »

Phil,

The crash in the XAML editor has been identified and fixed.
W.r.t. deleting folders: there could be more files in a folder than you are seeing in the project inside Solution Explorer (so called "excluded files").
What would you expect: should the folder be deleted if the folder contains files that are not part of the project ?

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Chris,

You and the Team are most welcome - I will continue to keep a look out for the odd thing here and there that seems not to be right. I will try and play my small part, as you and the others are doing all the big and hard work ;-0)

I have to say that most stuff seems to work very well indeed - well done Team !!!

Speak soon,
Phil.
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Robert,

In my case it was VERY simple, almost trivial. There we no other files at all. How can I call-back an existing Folder into my SE pane ?

I tried Add Existing Item - but that does not allow Folders it would seem.

What does C# do - I will test this out, and maybe the behaviour should be the same !?

Speak later,
Phil.
robert

Post by robert »

Phil,

In the project menu there is an item "Show all files".
If you select that then you can include "excluded" files and folder in your project.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Thanks Robert,

In the morning I will investigate this, and a few other related things / stuff. Which will include looking to see what C# does in the same circumstances - just for the knowledge etc..

Cheers,
Phil.
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi again Robert,

As promised I have done some testing with a C# project in VS 2017 - and - it is as I had assumed, the delete from the Solution Explorer pane does actually remove physically the folder and any files from the hard disk. Like as if we are using File Explorer.

Yes, it does give you a chance to Cancel, but it does NOT leave stuff on disk when it is removed from the SE pane.

I would vote to have our X# behaviour as like that of C# please.

Regards,
Phil.
FFF

Post by FFF »

Phil,
C# and it's handling is not the holy grail...

So i vote for X# to be smarter:
  • check, if there are "non included" files, is so, ask user, how to proceed.
  • offer comfort: if the answer to "total erase" is no, offer to move these files to a backup location.
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
robert

Post by robert »

Karl,

This is what I just implemented:
  • Delete a file to the Windows recycle bin
  • Delete a folder to the Windows recycle bin
So it is never truly 'lost'

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu