Buttons in lower part of dialog missing for just one RD user

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
ic2

Post by ic2 »

A client sent us an issue on which the lower part of a normal dialog is missing (VO). On this dialog there's a fixed text on top, a bBrowser and 3 Hover buttons on the bottom. I saw on her screenshot that the 850 pixel high dialog occupied her whole screen while, when I opened the same windows via the clients Remote Desktop, that dialog used probably 80% (more precisely: I assume 850/1024) of the window from which it was called.

I checked via TeamViewer and, as she already reported, even resizing (with the mouse) the dialog small enough to fit (it then gets scrollbars) the buttons on the bottom did not re-appear. A colleague sitting next to her was seeing it all correctly on her program, being the same exe, like I did.

I let her sign off and on again from RD, no change. She confirmed it worked just a few days ago and nothing was changed on this part for a long time and the previous version of the .exe had the same issue. She could operate the buttons however "in the blind" by using the shortcuts which I mailed her.

The buttons have a OA_PX_Y owner alignment but the mystery is of course why just one user can suddenly have 3 buttons not showing anymore (and the dialog clearly showing larger than normal) with no change in the program. Does anyone recognize this?

Dick
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Dick,

I think most likely they changed the windows font size setting in that machine recently?

Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
GlenT

Post by GlenT »

Hi Dick,

Further to Chris's comment, we often find that people change from the standard font size (Smaller of my PC) to medium or Larger and this has the same effect as physically changing the font size. See attachment.

HTH

Glen
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (18.8 KiB) Viewed 421 times
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Chris, Glen,

Thanks for your reply; I thought something like that too but when I go to Settings/Display I get the message that I can't change anything there within the RD environment.

Furthermore, the datawindow from where the dialogwindow was opened seem to be the normal size. And finally, I would still expect the buttons to appear when I resize the window small enough to display the buttons on the bottom which would work for me if I would use a small resolution or large fonts. .But that that doesn't happen either there.....

Dick
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,
the small/large font setting cannot be changed in a remote desktop session because the client (your) setting rules and not the one on the PC.
And in VO there is a fundamental setting of the window/dialog that changes the behavior on the font size: if a window or dialog has the "pixel positions" set to true, you can be sure that that window/dialog will be misbehave with large fonts.
If the "pixel positions" is set to auto, it will behave a lot better and have only small display "defects".
Therefore I'm using "pixel positions" on the auto setting, and if some customer complains about a wrong display on large fonts machines, I can find the wrong setting all the time, because I have forgot to change some window.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,
sorry, I forgot: the font setting is not only per user, but since Windows 8 or then fortunately also per window.
(I have a customer with a strange display setting: a Microsoft Surface tablet with high resolution display and fonts on 200%, and a 24" fullHD monitor with normal sized fonts).
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
ArneOrtlinghaus

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

Additionally the settings for the sizes of the frames in the Windows settings have to be verified. If the frame sizes are too large, the client area of the windows may be come too small.

Arne
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello,

Thanks to your replies I realized the RD calling machine had a resolution problem and indeed the client reported a resolution of only 1366x768. The window is 850 pixels high. This must have been higher earlier so I suspect a malfunction in the videocard, something with her monitor, etc. She has to solve that.

However, it still doesn't explain why the buttons do no re-appear if she resizes the dialog with her mouse. If I do that, I get a scrollbar because the bBrowser contains more than can be made visible and I see the buttons on the bottom. She doesn't. Arne, what do you mean with "the settings for the sizes of the frames in the Windows settings"?

Dick
ArneOrtlinghaus

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

I thought on the size of the borders and the caption of the dialog boxes. If I remember correctly when moving from Win 7 to new versions the height of the caption grew and so buttons in many dialogs moved outside the dialog. But it is not the case here.
Arne
frames.png
frames.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 421 times