preventing recompilation

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Otto

preventing recompilation

Post by Otto »

I am changing unittests (in C#) over XSharp code. I see that XSharp code is recompiling (or at least checking it) every time, even though nothing changed.
Is there something I can do to prevent this behavior?
Chris

preventing recompilation

Post by Chris »

Hi Otto,

I think you just need to need to go to Build -> Configuration Manager, and uncheck the "Build" checkbox from the unit test project (and any other you don't want to be automatically recompiled once a change something in a referenced library).
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Otto

preventing recompilation

Post by Otto »

hmm, are we talking about the same thing?
I don't mind that the unit tests are recompiled when I build the solution as a whole.

But when I change a unit test and want to run/debug it, then it compiles the source of the whole solution again (including the XSharp code that hasn't been changed).

So every time I'm running a specific unit test it goes through compiling all the source, resulting at the end in
========== Build: 11 succeeded, 0 failed, 12 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
So, the compiler sees that all is up to date.
Chris

preventing recompilation

Post by Chris »

Hi Otto,

Well, normally VS (MSBuild) builds the projects that depend (directly or indirectly) on the code you changed, so could it be you have a reference to the unit test project
in any of your regular projects in the solution?
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
robert

preventing recompilation

Post by robert »

Otto,
Otto post=23209 userid=298 wrote:hmm, are we talking about the same thing?
I don't mind that the unit tests are recompiled when I build the solution as a whole.

But when I change a unit test and want to run/debug it, then it compiles the source of the whole solution again (including the XSharp code that hasn't been changed).

So every time I'm running a specific unit test it goes through compiling all the source, resulting at the end in
========== Build: 11 succeeded, 0 failed, 12 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
So, the compiler sees that all is up to date.
Are you sure that they are rebuild, or is this just the message that they are Up to date.
Does the date/time of the EXE/DLL files change ?

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu