...where X# is right (and VO sooo easy)

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Just for info. We had a bit of trouble getting a 90% rotated font in a bBrowser. Turns out that this works in VO!

Code: Select all

LOCAL oFont AS font
			oFont := Font{, 8, "Arial"}
			oFont:Rotation := 900		
If you open oFont it will open CLASS Font INHERIT VObject. If you open Rotation you get _DLL access Rotation class Font:bBrw40.12

So defining a local oFont from the default VO Font class and then assigning a property which only exists in the (extended) bBrowser subclass simply works. I don't understand why but it's very easy :P

I think it's good it didn't work in X# (where it was solved by defining oFont as the bBrowser Font class.

Dick
robert

Post by robert »

Dick,

The X# font class has a property Orientation. That maps to the same field that the bFont rotation maps to.
So if you change the code to use the Orientation property then it works.
We use that word, because the field inside the logfont structure from the Windows SDK also uses the word orientation and not the word rotation.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Robert,

That's good to know although inheriting from the bBrowser font (and keeping it Rotation) works too.

I still don't understand why it works in VO this way.

Dick
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Dick,

Most likely the bBrowser library in VO defines this ACCESS which extends externally the Font class from the VOGUI classes directly, does not do it in the inherited class bFont.

In the .Net version of bBrowser this is done in the inherited class, so it's only available when you use that class, not only the parent class Font.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Chris,

That looks like a good explanation. I was just wondering why it could work in VO. I think both ways are good but the X# way is more what you expect.

Dick
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,
PMFJI: the explanation why it works in VO is clear: VO does most of its binding at runtime (when it comes to objects).
So, when you load start an application, all classes that are referenced (even these that are in referenced DLLs) are loaded in memory and the method table is built (at runtime).
Therefore you can add a method to a class from another DLL without creating a subclass (in your example it was the font class).
The .NET runtime instead builds the method table each class at compile time, and for each assembly separately. That excludes such "dirty" tricks that VO allows (and that most of us have used).
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it