bBrowser 3 y Report Pro 2.14

This forum is meant for examples of X# code.

gjbiagiotti

Post by gjbiagiotti »

Good day.
I want to migrate my VO 2.8 SP3 applications to X#.
I have libraries made in VO that I use in my applications, how should I incorporate them into X#?
I use, in VO, Report Pro 2.14 and bBrowser 3, can I continue using these versions or do I have to buy the X# versions?
If I can continue to use my version of bBrowser 3, how should I configure it for use in X#?
In the same way, how should one proceed with Report Pro 2.14?

I would appreciate it if you could send me examples of use?

Thank you all.
Gerardo.
gjbiagiotti

Post by gjbiagiotti »

I also use the VO RightSLE library.
How should I import it to my application?

Gerardo.
gjbiagiotti

Post by gjbiagiotti »

Compiling with XIDE the imported AEF shows a long list of errors with bBrowser.
error XS0246: The type or namespace name 'BBROWSER' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I copied the cavowed.inf and tpl files from VO to XIDEConfig, but the error remains.

Gerardo.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Gerardo,

Just a very quick answer first, before writing a much more comprehensive a little later: Indeed you need to use/purchase the .Net versions of the 3rd party tools that you use. For bBrowser, you can buy it from https://bbrowser.net/index.php/en/

May I ask if you are already familiar enough with XIDE/X#/.Net Framework in general? That's just to decide how thoroughly we will need to explain things to give you a quick start on the port process.

Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
gjbiagiotti

Post by gjbiagiotti »

Hello Chris
For now I don't want to work with .NET, I just want to port my AEF to X#, and continue working as if it were VO.
In any case, I'm telling you that I use .net to develop libraries for use in VO.

Gerardo.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Also for ReportPro, you can purchase it from here: https://www.xsharp.eu/store/shop/
But if you have a receipt for the VO version of the ReportPro product that you are using, please contact us at info@xsharp.eu with it and we can offer a discount.

For RightSLE, another X# developer (Wolfgang Riedmann) is actually right now working on porting it to X#, so please wait a few days for that.
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Gerardo,
gjbiagiotti post=26002 userid=5304 wrote:Hello Chris
For now I don't want to work with .NET, I just want to port my AEF to X#, and continue working as if it were VO.
In any case, I'm telling you that I use .net to develop libraries for use in VO.
OK, but if you will work in the X# version, then by definition you will be also using .Net, and some things in it are fundamentally different than in VO/standard Windows, and will need to be prepared for that.

We are currently in the process of preparing a document that will have concentrated information in one place that will make it easier for people new to X# to get started, but until that's ready, here are some very important resources that explain the porting process, as it's fundamental to be familiar with the new concepts. Otherwise, I am afraid it can look very daunting at first.

From the help file: https://www.xsharp.eu/help/migratingappsfromvotox.html

Online sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yduay2fc-nE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-zhcsYuas8

Also we will offer a new service, you will be able to send up your VO app and we will take care of making the first steps of porting for you, so you both have a proof of concept and also have a starting point. If you are interested, please contact us about this, too.

Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
gjbiagiotti

Post by gjbiagiotti »

Chris, thank you for your prompt response and for the information you provided.
My specific question is whether I can continue to use bBrowser 3 and Report Pro 2.14 on X# without purchasing the updated versions.

Gerard
Chris

Post by Chris »

Gerardo,

Not only for bBrowser and RP, but for every third party product you use, you will need a .Net version, since the VO dlls of those products will not work in the .Net environment (so also in X#). The .Net (X#) versions of those products (new dlls) can still be used in the same way as the VO versions in the X# version of the app, it will not be required to make changes in your code (except for very few specific cases).

Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu