Codebeispiel

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
Kohle

Codebeispiel

Post by Kohle »

Kann ich irgendwo ein Codebeispiel analog zu der bei VO automatisch generierten Standard-MDI-Applikation finden? (ShellWindow, Menu, SplashScreen, DialogWindow)

Viele Grüße

Frank
FFF

Codebeispiel

Post by FFF »

Wo willst Du sie finden? Xide wie VS bringen die als Templates doch mit?
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
wriedmann

Codebeispiel

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Frank,
since we are here in the international part of the forum, I will answer in english, so also our english speaking collegues can understand what I'm answering.
First of all: when VO cames out, the choices were rather limited: VO had its own GUI classes, its own database (DBF), and the MDI approach was widely accepted. So there were not many choices.
Today, the world has changed a lot.
First of all, X# has no own GUI library because it already supports at least 3 of them: VO GUI classes compatible, Windows Forms and WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation).
Second: the DBF database is not more good option for new applications (the same is true for Paradox, Access MDB or other file based databases). You will find mostly SQL databases from different vendors (MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, ...) that are not very compatible, and there are several cloud and non-SQL databases (the next generation of our business app will not have a local database anymore, but work against a database in our datacenter).
Third: MDI is no more widely accepted, and modern looking apps are using several different approaches. So how should your application work? MDI, one-pager like web applications, tabcontrol based?
To add complexity, we have no more one IDE, both two of them: XIDE and Visual Studio. What is your choice (mine is XIDE)?
To finish, I will show you 2 screenshots of different X# applications (I do not show VOGUI applications because they look exactly like VO applications).
This is a typical Windows Forms application. I have opted for a navigation bar on the left side, and the main windows as pages in a full size tab control. Edit windows are modal dialogs:
WindowsForms.png
WindowsForms.png (74.57 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
And this is a WPF application, entirely code based (windows are defined in code, not in a grafical painter). The main choices are the similar: navigation on the left side, all windows including the edit windows are pages of the main tab control:
WPF-Grid.png
WPF-Grid.png (164.78 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
WPF-Detail.png
WPF-Detail.png (51.72 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
Maybe I can build a sample application based on one of these two applications (both are in production for several years now).

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Sherlock

Codebeispiel

Post by Sherlock »

Wolgang,,

very accurate view of the develop in 2023

Forget DBF for new development....
learn SQL and open your world.

We only have a few left on DBF in VM
Almost all SQL in a VM

100% cloud out by XMAS

It is hard when VO + DBF unless a niche market.
But these niches are disappearing.

Sure some bespoke system there will be survivors.
But progess moves forward constantly.
The older VO guys eventually go
My point is the younger newer are not going the DBF way.

Phil
Phil McGuinness
wriedmann

Codebeispiel

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Phil,
DBF was a very good thing because it does not needs any maintenance and special installation.
But Microsoft is killing file based databases in networks (becomes slower and slower), and the user approach has changed over the years. Years ago, incremental searches and scrolling was very important, now people is using more and more filters, and filtering a large DBF over a network is not really a good thing.
And yes, web applications and mobile apps are another big thing (we do both web applications and Windows applications).
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it