Visual Studio randomly crashed

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
boonnam

Post by boonnam »

I am using Visual Studio 2017 community version to test out X#. Ever since we converted out VO application to X#, Visual Studio randomly crashed or stop responding. While scrolling or clicking within the prg file, VS sometime stop responding. Often time it return to normal. Other time it restart VS.

Also, I sometime get "assertion failed" error when I'm compiling or running our converted application. A simple restart of VS would fix it. It doesn't happen all the time.

I didn't experience these issues when I created my test X# application from scratch using Core dialect. Of course that application was small. This is only occurring for the converted VO application using VO dialect.

Any idea on how to fix these issues or minimize it?

Thanks,

Boonnam
Attachments
Assertion_failed.JPG
Assertion_failed.JPG (66.99 KiB) Viewed 333 times
boonnam

Post by boonnam »

Here is additional information after this is consistently happening after I posted this message.

Take this line:
SELF:oNetUsrs:LOGIN := Today()

I want to change it to SELF:oNetUsrs:FIELDPUT(#LOGIN, Today()).

After clicking right after the 2nd colon, VS would pause (Not Responding). Most of the time, it would be OK. Then I would type "FIELDPUT(#". As soon as I typed the "#", VS would pause. This would occur about half of the time. About 20 percent of the time, VS would hang and restart, and I would lose all the changes if I didn't save. I think this related to intellisense.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Boonnam,

Thanks for the additional info, this should help finding the problem. I could not reproduce this here though for now.

Have you installed the latest Update 1 build? I suspect the problem has to do with displaying the info tooltip when you put the mouse after the colon and the guys have fixed some related issues after the first general release, in the newer Update 1.

If the problem still happens with Update 1, could you please send us a repro sample, if you can now consistently reproduce this issue?

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
robert

Post by robert »

Boonnam,

Without seeing your code it is difficult to give you a good hint about what might be causing the problems.
Some questions:
- How did you declare the oNetUsrs field or property ?
- Which version are you using ?
- Which 3rd party or external assemblies are you referencing ?

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
boonnam

Post by boonnam »

Robert and Chris,

I installed update 1 when it came out. The only 3rd party assemblies and references we are using are the Vulcan DLLs. Right now we are focusing on getting this application to run almost as is.

oNetUsrs is originally declared as Object. Yesterday, I noticed that on my machine it is not opening the index, so I tried declaring is as NetServer, which is DBServer. The index is still not being opened. I didn't mean to imply that it is happening only for oNetUsrs. It was just an example.

After VS restarts, the issue will not happen right away. How do I turn off the tooltip? I'm willing to try that. Thanks.
sko

Post by sko »

This is Sukhoon Ko and I work with Boonnam. I was having the same issue(VS2017 hanging and crashing).
I checked the task manager when it was hanging and found out that VS2017 was taking 1.7G memory and XSCompiler.exe was taking 3.6g memory. I closed visual studio 2017 and XSCompiler was still running and taking little less than 1gb memory. It looks like XSComplier never closes even after the build is over and running in background.
VS2017-xsCompliler.JPG
VS2017-xsCompliler.JPG (34.91 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Chris

Post by Chris »

Guys,

It is normal that the compiler stays in memory after build, this happens in order to speed up compilation so that it doesn't load every time you compile, again and again. You can control this with the option "Use Shared Compiler" in the Build page of the project properties, if you set it to false, the compiler will not stay in memory after compiling.

The problem with VS crashing or not responding is of course a bug, but we need a reproducible sample to be able to find and fix it. A lot of people have sent us their code in the past in order to debug such issues, usually it's the only way to do this. If you can't send your complete solution, maybe you can reproduce the problem also in smaller projects? If yes, please send those to us so we have something to debug the issue. You can send it directly to me at chris (at) xsharp. eu

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
robert

Post by robert »

Guys,

To add to what Chris said:
we did not invent this. the VB and C# compiler do this as well.
We inherited the behaviour from Roslyn.
After compiling C# or VB code you will see that the VBCSCompiler.Exe remains in memory.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
robert

Post by robert »

Sukhoon, Boonam.

Fabrice and I have made some changes to the VS intellisense. That will probably solve the hanging.
We will most likely release a patch to our FOX subscribers end of next week.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

I just posted some issues in the NG, one of them a sudden VS 2017 error:

C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv4.0.30319Microsoft.WinFx.targets(268,9):
error MC1000: Unknown build error, 'Exception of type
'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.'

(solved by a restart of VS 2017)

and this one, in my VS 2015, not solved with a restart. No idea how to solve it anyway.

VS 2017 could be the problem but the 2ne error is VS 2015. Basically I can not run the project anymore.

Severity Code Description Project File Line
Suppression State
Error XS9015 No explicit constructor chaining; generating implicit
call to super constructor. JelleTestApp
D:XSharpProjectsTestAppWPFWindow1.xaml.prg 21