Documentation for someone new in XBase

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ic2

Post by ic2 »

We have a new employee who is most likely leading one of our clients in the X# era. However, his knowledge of xBase is 0,0 and we found that despite the well maintained documentation of X#, xBase commands like dbServer, skip etc are not documented. Paul Piko's Vulcan at Warpspeed doesn't either.

Does anyone have a suggestion (some documentation) which will help him gain knowledge about creating X#/Vulcan programs using dbserver & command? I remember I used the South Sea Adventures for learning VO - something like that?

One strange thing: he installed X# and this is how the PDF looks like. Also after a re-install. It looks fine on my Pc. Does this make sense to anyone?
Xsharppdfs_BPTL.png
Xsharppdfs_BPTL.png (116.69 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Dick
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,

I have a Vulcan book here, in PDF format.
Vulcanbook.png
Vulcanbook.png (156.68 KiB) Viewed 201 times
If you need an address of the author, I can search for it.

Unfortunately I think that things like DBServer are only there for legacy code ported over from VO, soif someone should maintain ported applications, he should lean VO.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Wolfgang,

Thanks for your suggestion; I know Alwyn from Devshare and have his address but didn't know this book. I found the book you mention on http://www.govulcan.net/portal/Learning ... fault.aspx but of course half the links there don't work anymore. I'll check out which of the sources there would be best to help him understand DBF use. There's also Paul's Warp speed book, but not much about DBF there; a book from Dieter and clickstartvulcan.net notes from Phil.

Dick
robert

Post by robert »

Dick,

I have seen the distorted PDF as well when opening with Edge. It looks fine in Adobe Reader.
The PDF includes font subsets to save on disk space. Edge does not seem to like that.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
FFF

Post by FFF »

Dick,
possibly the most complete would be the Vo2.5 manual - i still have these 15cm thick papers ;) - lot's of good writing.
The problem with Alwyns book is, that it handles dbf as whole rather cursory, that will not suffice/help someone foreign to the mindset of xbase/dbf...

Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)