RP2 crash when using specific fonts in Windows11 22H2

This forum is the place to discuss issues related to ReportPro, Xs2Ado, Vo2Ado, bBrowser and other 3rd party products
baramuse

Post by baramuse »

Hi,
since the update 22H2 of windows 11, all our reports using the Calibri font (and some other fonts) now crashes when exporting the report to PDF.
Previewing the report is ok, only when exporting it crashes, systematically.

Really easy to reproduce, on a Windows 11 22H2, create an empty report, use the Calibri font even for one char and try to export to PDF.

PS: crash does not happen with the same report with RP2-Net

​​​​​​​Best regards.

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 17.04.31.png
Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 17.04.31.png (104.86 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
Chris

Post by Chris »

Actually we do have a report for the same problem also in the .Net version of RP2: https://github.com/X-Sharp/XSharpPublic/issues/311
There seems to be something special about the memory layout of this font, but haven't figured out what..
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
baramuse

Post by baramuse »

Well I can confirm it works with the XSharp version, for Calibri at least.
The crash you linked seems similar but with "Cambria" font, and apparently works in RP2 VO.
I've just tried with RP2-net built from source, no crash on either font.

Also here that crash only starts happenning with the 22H2 service pack of Windows11.
If it's an issue with font parsing, maybe the 22H2 installed a new revision of Calibri that crashes the parser, I can try to install and older revision of the font, but that's just suppositions.
It would just be too time consuming to change the fonts of the reports but that actually prevent us from upgrading customer's servers which is a security flaw :/
Chris

Post by Chris »

HI,

If I remember correctly, we've had reports for both fonts, same error on both, so it must have been the same thing. Strange thing is that I cannot reproduce this in my machine anymore, with either fonts now!
I'm afraid that the built in pdf export system in RP2 will always have some issues, I don't think we can keep up with all the changes and updates happening in windows...I think using a pdf printer driver like PDFCreator is the best solution.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
baramuse

Post by baramuse »

Maybe update of fonts ? For example on W10 22H2 Calibri is 6.23, on W11 22H2 it's 6.26...
I need one that crashes with RP2-Net in order to dig in...

But yes, maybe swapping the builtin pdf report with a pdf printer might be the best solution long term.