Random crashes, now know Windows 11

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
MJI

Random crashes, now know Windows 11

Post by MJI »

28 SP4

Did not recognise from screen shot, but informed it is windows 11.

Whenever the screen is busy, rather than work it is crashing out.

Works everywhere else.

This is where the software is away for a second or so, such as doing a search, or running a C DLL with only limited feedback to the UI.

Kid Stack Size Limit Exceeded

It is in My inherited ShellWindow:Dispatch on the super into ShellWIndow:Dispatch()

Have told the customer to run the resource monitor to see if anything is overflowing, but not sure if this will help at all.

cannot run our error system.

Thanks

Martin
ic2

Re: Random crashes, now know Windows 11

Post by ic2 »

Kid Stack Size Limit Exceeded means you program got in a loop. I would add some lines which e.g. save a position (method, line number) on a file to see how how far/where your program came before it crashed. I don't use Windows 11 but I think W11 is not the cause, but some other condition in the program that causes the program to get in a loop.

Dick
MJI

Post by MJI »

OK Dick, we will try a few enviromental things first as the program has been stable since XP days.

I will then produce a debug build but if it is working OK on hundreds of other PCs, pretty sure not our code.
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Martin,
since this error seems to occurr in the Dispatch() callback method, maybe you have some timing issue that calls the method itself recursively.
That may be caused by an change in your program, or it may have caused by a change in the OS that causes recursive calls.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
MJI

Post by MJI »

Hello Wolfgang

The one thing of note is Windows 11 rather than 10.

All 3 office PCs go bang, all 3 are 11, they have had this with 2 versions of our software, I have set suppport on finding out the other PCs.

Resources are all reasonable, I managed to double or triple in 10 minutes.

One crash was within a CollectForced during the auto refresh of a bbrowser FieldSpec:Axit

I have suggested for now putting the BIN onto the C drive for a workstation as their barcode systemn is running fine.

When errors are random like this, on one site, I suspect the site, not my code.
ArneOrtlinghaus

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

Until now we did not have many problems with Windows 11. It's a very stable environment and behaves very similar to Windows 10. Application programs (as our programs are) normally run without problems on Windows 11 according to our experience. System programs like Antivirus or Teamviewer or certain Printer drivers needed all new versions for Windows 11. I could imagine two effects:
- The computers are newer and so have a higher speed and so the programs have another timing.
- The Windows messages for updating the GUI come in a bit different manner.

What can also be a source of problems: The Antivirus programs. Most of the Antivirus programs now have behavior driven control, not only control of the file signatures. So they may influence other programs. Also they may be more strict. Earlier antivirus versions made the file tests when they had time. Now we have Antivirus programs that block read access of new files until they have had the time to test the contents. So it is often a good idea to switch off the antivirus for some tests to exclude their activities.

Arne
MJI

Post by MJI »

Thanks for that I will inform support.

They see error message so instantly think issue for Martin.

Good to hear that 11 is similar to 10 in reliability

I will get them to fully check what is on the PCs, and find out what was the event that triggered this.
MJI

Post by MJI »

OK we have had a similar crash in the office but I cannot find any reason for it.

I was able to run the executable perfectly, the other person testing kept getting the old build running, despite date time being the one I dropped in.

After 3 or 4 versions it crashed to Windows, no errors.

I copied to a different name and it was fine.

I cannot find the right terms for a search on the internet, so hopefully someone here knows. Not Remote Desk Top, but another PC on our work network.

Windows server, (I am not too up on the perculiarites on Windows servers, to me they are a box which stores data and runs ADS, my era is more NLM)