Reduce existing PDF

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Frank Müßner

Reduce existing PDF

Post by Frank Müßner »

Hello,
does anyone know of a code or a tool that can be used to reduce the size of existing PDFs?
Preferably in pure X# code or a good add-on.

Regards, Frank
wriedmann

Re: Reduce existing PDF

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Frank,
you can reduce a PDF size only by reducing the size of the contained images.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
FFF

Post by FFF »

Bad question, Frank, sorry.
What's "reduce"? Cut off parts of an pdf? Shrink file size by removing embedded fonts? By extraction images, downsizing resolution and repacking? Or what?
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Frank,

The multiple options to reduce the size Wolfgang/Karl suggested are present in Syncfusion Essential PDF, see https://www.syncfusion.com/blogs/post/7 ... files.aspx. You can use their product for free including a very good support, if you have a smaller company. They recently acknowledged a bug I found in annotations in their WPF PDFCOntrol version and are very responsive about how they are solving it and also provided me code to regain focus after e.g. pressing a button, which did not work with a simple focus (WPF is full of surprises), after I asked them how I could get that working.

There's also an (expensive) product for it, IronPDF.

Dick
NickFriend

Post by NickFriend »

ic2 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:05 pm Syncfusion Essential PDF, see https://www.syncfusion.com/blogs/post/7 ... files.aspx.
Hi Dick,

Great tip.... I've been looking for something like this for quite a while now. I've been testing it today and the image compression option works really well. Took a 1.2Gb folder of PDFs anbd reduced it to 600Mb with very little effort or loss of quality.

Nick
Frank Müßner

Post by Frank Müßner »

Hello,
sorry for the late reply, I didn't receive any messages from the forum. :-(
I think for me it's mainly enough to reduce the size of the graphics; I've already tested tools with different results. I'll probably decide to buy a tool because I don't want to use syncfusion.
Was hoping for a cost-effective solution.
Frank
NickFriend

Post by NickFriend »

Hi Frank,

As Dick said, Syncfusion is free if you're <$1,000,000 annually. Otherwise it is expensive.

I tested the PDF compression options and they work very well. I ran a folder of 500+ files through it and all were effectively reduced (99% through the image reduction by dropping the image quality) and it handled the formatting perfectly. All document formatting was maintained even though the PDFs were in multiple formats and from multiple sources.

Worth a look.

Nick
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Nick,

Glad I could help you, for a change :)

It's pretty unique that Syncfusion offers the product for free for I'd say a large part of IT companies including support. What I like is that they most issues they acknowledge are solved quickly and that they are also willing to help with related questions. Some of their libraries add little to already existing .Net options (which is nopt different for other expensive 3rd party libraries, but they really have so many components that there's always something useful.

@Frank: I wondered why you do not want to use Syncfusion?

Dick