Clipper nach X#

Deutschsprachiges X#-Forum – German language forum

Moderator: wriedmann

lagraf

Clipper nach X#

Post by lagraf »

Hallo,
ich habe noch ein paar alte Clipper Progs bei Kunden, die lassen sich mit Harbour relativ leicht von 16bit auf 32bit bringen. Gibt es aber auch eine Art Transporter von Clipper nach X#? Es muß ja nicht das GUI verändert werden, aber ein Windows Fenster wäre vielleicht ganz nett. Oder bleibt da nur der Weg nach Alaska?

LG und ein frohes Weihnachtsfest sowie einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr
Franz
Chris

Re: Clipper nach X#

Post by Chris »

Hi Franz,

The X# compiler should be very compatible to Clipper, especially with the use of UDCs for commands and since both X# and Clipper apps are file based, there's not so much need for a Clipper->X# transporter, since there are no binaries and resources to port, not even classes in the code etc. But if it turns out that a transporter can help, we can certainly do that as well.

Regarding the GUI, some years ago we had developed a library that would translate @SAY commands to Windows Forms windows in X# with no changes in the code at all and that was looking very promising, but we didn't get an opportunity to test it with a real Clipper app. Maybe this is a good chance, what size are your Clipper apps?
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
lagraf

Post by lagraf »

Hi Chris,
the biggest app in use has about 4000 lines of code.
This app actually is compiled and runs with harbour to use it as a 32bit app in a DOS box.
Regards Franz
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Franz,

That sounds perfect! Would it be possible to send me one or more of those apps, to give them a try in X# and see in practice what might be needed from our side to make it easier to port them? And I would also like to try the winforms concept with them.
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
lagraf

Post by lagraf »

Hi Chris,
I can make you a testing environment which is compileable with Clipper 5.2 and Harbour 3.0.0.
But you should only put in work if you are interested in this by yourself!
I only have one customer left working with this app and he can do this as long as the harbour compiled 32 bit version runs on Windows.
Franz
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Franz,

Yes, I am very interested, because if this concept works in practice, it could open more possibilities for X# in the future. But I would need to have the source code for that, not just a testing environment. Of course I can sign an NDA for it before you send it.
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
lagraf

Post by lagraf »

Hi Chris,
app is sent to your Mailbox. NDA is not necessary, cause it is an old app which is only used by 1 client for many years. He is so familar and happy with this app so he doesn't want to upgrade to a windows app.
Franz
lagraf

Post by lagraf »

Hi Chris,
your mail server refuses zip file with exe so I sent you source only. Did you receive it?
Franz
Chris

Post by Chris »

HI Franz,

Unfortunately not, can you please zip again the already zipped first file you sent (which includes binaries) and password protect it? This way the attachment checker cannot read the contents of the zip :)
You might need to rename the first zip file from application.zip to application.txt or similar, before you zip it again.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble!
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
lagraf

Post by lagraf »

Hi Chris,
that's no problem cause I'm already retired and most of the day I'm alone at home with 2 cats so I'm happy if I have something to do ;) !

I have zipped it as you said, hope it goes through your virus checker.

Franz