Strange exe-naming

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
FFF

Strange exe-naming

Post by FFF »

Chris,
by chance i had a look into my bindebug folder and found some "strange" files like:
bcc5f20a-a180-4b27-823b-7abf0367d4e6__SQL.exe or
d20e51d5-b630-4f65-bee9-f7ba8612cfd6__TomLibVirt.dll
The "regular" ones are named like: __TomLibVirt.dll
I suspect that may be result of some problems i had, but i'm curious ;) - probably i should simply delete them and forget?

Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Chris

Strange exe-naming

Post by Chris »

Hi Karl,

I had such files too from time to time and was wondering where they are coming from. Just yesterday I realized they are created when you try to compile an app that is already running, when this happens, the existing dll/exe gets renamed to that strange file name.

Guess that's a feature of roslyn, tried to search about this, but did not find anything. Maybe Robert has further info?

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
robert

Strange exe-naming

Post by robert »

Chris,

Yes this is what Roslyn does: when there is a sharing violation writing the output file then the existing file is renamed and marked for deletionSee:

https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/blob/master/src/Compilers/Core/Portable/CommandLine/CommonCompiler.CompilerEmitStreamProvider.cs, line 80.

The files should be hidden. I guess Karl has the option to show hidden files enabled.
The files normally should automatically be deleted when they are no longer in use.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu