Can I create a ASPX project with X# code & DBF?

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ic2

Post by ic2 »

We have several CGI projects: VO programs using the business logic from the Pc/Server programs and producing HTML code as output. This works fine but we depend upon .exe rights from providers on their shared servers which is a 'weak point'.

Earlier I have written a few ASPX server programs in C#. Now I wonder: would it be possible to create a C# ASPX DLL solution and add a X# Vulcan compatible project which can access DBF files? Will the resulting DLL function on a webserver or will this give a problem because of the 32 bits nature of the DBF drivers?

If that is a problem (and the only problem) we can gradually move to MySQL instead but that requires more rewriting of our CGI VO code than moving it to ASPX would. As the code is pretty straightforward, the conversion itself would be much easier than that of the average Pc/server VO program

Dick
FFF

Post by FFF »

Dick,
FWIW, when the "new" runtime und rdds get built i can't imagine they'd artifially restrict them to 32bit - so, i'd plan for this. Someplace here Robert, when pressed <g>, spoke of possibly November. Given the astonishing record for keeping delivery dates the team has up to now, the sounds managable...

Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Karl,

Do you mean that it should work but won't work until November?

Chris, Robert, can you confirm Karl's remark about using Vulcan DBFCDX in a ASPX DLL?

Dick
FFF

Post by FFF »

Dick,
you misread my post. The VulcanRDD is closed source and property of Grafx, it IS 32bit and surely will stay so.
But as the still to write ;) X#-Rdds are "free", noone will restrict the authors to do as they want, and i'd wonder if they wouldn't make it 64bit...

Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Dick,

Sorry, personally I don't have experience with ASPX. But I think many people had been using that in vulcan, and vulcan only generated 32 bit apps (no matter if they used dbf or not), so I assume it should work also with the DBFCDX, unless there's some webhosting issue with x86 apps. Maybe someone with previous experience with that can comment..

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu