Could not load file or assembly 'VulcanRTFuncs, Version=3.0.301.0

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ic2

Post by ic2 »

This is the situation. I picked up the solution my new employee is working on. The solution contains 2 X# libraries and 1 C# library. On debugging he found that setting a breakpoint in C# code within the same solution, the debugger does not stop at the C# code, only at breakpoints within the X# code.

I added a new WPF application to the solution with a button on a screen from where I start testing the X# method calling the C# method to see how debugging works. Or doesn't work.

First the compiler complains about incorrect versions of the Vulcan library. I decide to remove all references to the Vulcan DLL's and reapply them, browsing to C:Program Files (x86)Vulcan.NET 3.0RedistAssembliesv4.0. Compiler seems happy but when I start my test program:
local oObj as XSharpNameSpace.XSharpClass
oObj:= XSharpNameSpace.XSharpClass{}
oobj:MyMethodToTest("test") // Method found in XSharpNameSpace, XSharpClass

I get a runtime error, showing app:Run() from the app.g.prg, something mysterious VS seems to use or need:

Could not load file or assembly 'VulcanRTFuncs, Version=3.0.301.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0e73a8bf006af00c' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

What do I do wrong?

Dick
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Dick,

Just copy the VulcanRT.dll and VulcanRTFuncs.dll files (and any other if you are using them) to the same folder with the .exe. Does it work ok now?

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Chris,

No, both files are there and these are the same as the ones from the Vulcan Redist directory.

Do you maybe have another suggestion?

Dick
robert

Post by robert »

Dick,

Open your assembly with ILSpy or Reflector and check for the exact signature for the references.
Then open the files you have included and make sure that the signatures match.
I am sure that upon close inspection you will find a difference.
If you can't, then mail me the files and I will have a look.

One way to get the complete details of what .Net is looking for and where it searches is by enabling what is called "Fusion Logging".
There is an article here that describes how to do that:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/255 ... ion-in-net

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Robert, Chris,

After a closer look I found something which I thought couldn't be right and after deleting it, it worked - and the debugging went well from X# to C# code!

When I rushed back to modify my post I saw you already replied (incredible!), and with the correct reply of course.

Somehow or for some reasons I have added 2 Vulcan libraries to my project like I did with programs and pictures. It seemed to work for the library, until I tried to run a WPF program from the same solution. These libraries were Vulcan 4 libs while my references were Vulcan 3. I just overlooked that because I was so busy inspecting all references. There are many ways possible to get VS to not work...

I add a picture of the relevant part of my solution tree from just before removing the Vulcan DLL's.

One small question: is there any advantage in using Vulcan 4 libs?

Dick
VulcanIncluded.JPG
VulcanIncluded.JPG (25.59 KiB) Viewed 282 times
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Dick,

No, I think there's no particular reason to prefer the vulcan 303 dlls to the 401 ones, or the other way around. I don't think I had made any changes to the runtime of vulcan for the 4.0 version, so those 2 versions should be identical.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Thanks Chris; I will then keep using the Vulcan 3 libs to be sure.

I guess the only thing changed in Vulcan 4 is that it worked in VS 2015.

Dick
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yes, I think only Fabrice's work was included in Vulcan4, integration of VS2015. And some of Nikos, I think he had added preliminary support for lambda expressions/anonymous functions in the compiler. Nothing contributed by Robert either, he had left the team long ago :-)

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu