Well done TEAM - Forum membership !

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi all guys of the development TEAM,

I see that today we have reached an overall membership of 600!

This surely is impressive I feel.

I am now looking forward to Cologne 2018 at the end of April where X# will be on show to all attendees.

I for one intend to do my sessions entirely in X#, and also the content will be for all users - that is XIDE and Visual Studio, and any data format, DBF, SQL or other.

I hope to cover : printing, reporting, arrays to collections, and a little about bar coding 1D, 2D and QR. All interesting stuff, I am sure you will agree.

Although the topic areas are wide / large, I do intend to provide lots of suitable (and easy to follow) material in the ClickStart format - for guys to work through back at home or the office.

Best Regards to everyone,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Phil,

IMHO the most impressive thing is how well X# works, only two years after the first announcement.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
FFF

Post by FFF »

Wolfgang Riedmann wrote:IMHO the most impressive thing is how well X# works, only two years after the first announcement.
Yeah! And i'm looking forward to the things to come - given the relative "calmness" on the announcement page i bet the guys are deep in coding - November is coming fast ;)
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

In that case guys, can you or A.N.Other, supply me with some X# versions of the 'CodeProject' CSV Reader/Write methods ?

Over the years I seem to have written these afresh a few times, but can't put my hands on any this afternoon - spent ages looking in old projects etc.. make any submissions handle quotes and double quotes correctly.

I intend to incorporate these reader/writer methods into a new 'Address Book' app which I will provide for the Cologne session on Printing and Reports. Oh! and 'Arrays to Collections' - since the items read in will be made into collections of AddressBook objects.

Note for such simple Address Book data I am keeping well away from SQL and I last did DBF some ten years back, so I don't intend to revisit that technology, as good as it was. CSV seems most appropriate I feel.

Fingers crossed that someone may be able to help me - I will give any such person credit in the Cologne material ;-0)

Cheers,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Phil,

I would not keep away from SQL, but would opt for SQLite - there is no installation needed, as all the funtionality is in one (managed) DLL.

SQLite is not only used by Mozilla Firefox and a lot of other desktop and server software, but also available on Android and Windows Mobile.

When I'm ready to publish a sample database application, it will be based on SQLite.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Wolfgang,

yes, I know of SQLite and have used it before in metro apps (remember them) as well as test apps for Windows Mobile.

at the time I did the experimental work for Phone and Tablet there was no other option I seem to recall.

I just wanted a sample app to be as simple as possible, before I move on to other more complex stuff.

For me it will be refreshing to go back to basics after all the recent WPF and binding sessions I have delivered. It will only be a sample shipped with the support material.

Speak soon,
Phil.
FFF

Post by FFF »

Phil Hepburn wrote:CSV seems most appropriate I feel.
Not sure i'd do so. One of the simple and easy things - at first look. Then the dragons lift their heads - field limiters, quotes, double quotes, accents, decimal marker, extending the underlying data model, multiple postal/email address values, attributes etc. etc.
If you venture there, better do it right, of simplistic ABs there are already way to many ;)
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Karl,

You always seem to post me 'bad news'on a Friday afternoon.

Just because the data file is simple does not say that the operation of the Address Book and printing thereof will be simple, or Micky Mouse !

You say there are plenty, I could not find anything suitable when I searched recently. And Frank found one a bit too simple, which did not work correctly.

Have a nice weekend,
Phil.
Meinhard

Post by Meinhard »

Hi Phil,

> CSV seems most appropriate I feel.

hm, I personally prefer to model everything in an object graph (collection object objects) and serialize it into a json-file. Very easy to do and has the ability to even model object relationships.

Regards
Meinhard
TimothyS

Post by TimothyS »

Hi Phil,

I guess getting to 600 is pure luck. The funny thing is, the harder you work, the luckier you get.

Congratulations Team. Quite an achievement. Really looking forward to what the future has in store.

Regards,
Tim
Phil Hepburn wrote:Hi all guys of the development TEAM,

I am now looking forward to Cologne 2018 at the end of April where X# will be on show to all attendees.

I for one intend to do my sessions entirely in X#, and also the content will be for all users - that is XIDE and Visual Studio, and any data format, DBF, SQL or other.

I hope to cover : printing, reporting, arrays to collections, and a little about bar coding 1D, 2D and QR. All interesting stuff, I am sure you will agree.

Although the topic areas are wide / large, I do intend to provide lots of suitable (and easy to follow) material in the ClickStart format - for guys to work through back at home or the office.

Best Regards to everyone,
Phil.
Wales, UK.