I hate web-fora!

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
FFF

I hate web-fora!

Post by FFF »

Lost 20min looking for Phils thread re new Addressbook/Printing for Cologne18. Search is limited, to say the least, the dratted UI without any tree-structure view makes one click and click and click - and wait and wait and wait. Note, i'm on a 400MB line, so that shouldn't bother. Give me a decent reader any day and keep your decorations...

Anyway: @Phil: just in case, stumbled over http://www.endswithsaurus.com/2009/07/l ... orage.html
Interesting read about the dark sides of addresses ;)

K.
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Phil Hepburn

I hate web-fora!

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Karl,

Wow! I can see my wife (Julie) agreeing to all that jazz ;-0)

After all it is for her that I am doing this.

Our purpose is simply so she can get reasonably tidy printed list from the data, and that I can provide some flexibility with report formats and order etc., etc. So printing is her request.

Why does even the simplest idea have to turn out so complicated these days? This goes along with what Dick was saying the other day about IT stuff going sideways.

Thanks for the reference - it was interesting till I ran out of motivation half way through.

Cheers,
Phil.
ic2

I hate web-fora!

Post by ic2 »

I fully agree with you Karl.

Now a while ago there was a discussion that it may be possible to forward the posted messages to the NG. That would be (nearly) the best of both worlds. Even tough I have to login here to post which I don't have to do in a NG. But we would have a linear and search-able message overview.

It could be very simple I'd say: messages of all forums here could be posted in just 1 X# NG folder, maybe the subject proceeded by the forum folder name. Simple text only, no attachments. One way only, so posting in the NG means it's not visible here.

I have no idea if that is difficult to do; any post either be 'intercepted' or a batch post every 24 hours or so and there should be a way to post from a program to the NG. Probably without a way to re-post an edited message.

Any chance this is doable?

Dick
wriedmann

I hate web-fora!

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,
It could be very simple I'd say: messages of all forums here could be posted in just 1 X# NG folder, maybe the subject proceeded by the forum folder name. Simple text only, no attachments. One way only, so posting in the NG means it's not visible here.
I had started this work some time ago, but since I had no time anymore I could not proceed.

And then nearly all traffic was going to the web forum, so I don't think it would be important anymore, but maybe I have to restart (I was at the point I could read messages from the NGs and write them there).
Pure text would make Phil's posts nearly senseless as the important things are always in the images.... But formatting is another story in the NGs.

Unfortunately, my news reader has a very bad search functionality, whereas on this website the Google search could be implemented.

But there is so much content here that one could overlook important things, and because of this I have started my "pearls" webpage: www.riedmann.it/xsharp
Again: if someone thinks that a link should be added there, please let me know!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Phil Hepburn

I hate web-fora!

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Wolfgang (and all),

What you say seems right and correct.

For all guys, new and old, I need to point out that Brian specially made a 'Pearls' folder in the Vulcan news group so that I could post as many images as I chose / liked. He encouraged me, even at that time, back when Don was still doing the Vulcan compiler.

Even today with my 'ClickStart' eNotes I have developed a style which uses images. There is often so much more information in one well chosen image of the VS environment, that can't easily be put into words.

However, I do understand what you are all moaning about, and in some ways I agree with you.

Maybe I should suggest to 'Fischer Consultants' that all attendees and speakers in Cologne ware black sacks (bags) over their heads and bodies :evil:

Maybe we could all shave our heads as well. I won't go as far as to say that we all remove the top part of our left hand little finger, but maybe you get my drift. Its a colourful and wonderful world we inhabit - lets enjoy it, images as well!

Serious :- Maybe a better search facility in the Forum software would help a lot - Oh! and you guys keeping to the 'thread topic', and when we all post new topics thinking more carefully about what we entitle it.

Because of your wishes in the past we don't have a topic area for VS (Visual Studio) and so guys like me needing VS help have to squeeze a fresh topic in somewhere else. You can't have it both ways - you know, "have you cake and eat it"! Fewer folders AND easier to find!?

Just my 13 cents worth before going to pull up old carpets ;-0(( nasty job.

Cheers,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
wriedmann

I hate web-fora!

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Phil (and Robert),

maybe a Google search could help.

Add a "site:www.xsharp.eu " to the search expression, maybe even on the website itself, or to search in the forums "site:www.xsharp.eu/forum". This does not help of course with the private or FoX forums.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
wolfgang@riedmann.it
ic2

I hate web-fora!

Post by ic2 »

Hello Phil,
Because of your wishes in the past we don't have a topic area for VS (Visual Studio) and so guys like me needing VS help have to squeeze a fresh topic in somewhere else. You can't have it both ways - you know, "have you cake and eat it"! Fewer folders AND easier to find!?
I love 'no topics', just like comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects. On searching in Agent I press F3 a few times as I can keep searching in the same group/topic area.

Searching in this forum is a no go unfortuantely.

Dick
ic2

I hate web-fora!

Post by ic2 »

If you have some time for it, and I know how hard this is to find, you could try to see if you can post the messages in the NG in the simplest possible form, making them more widely + off line available. Making it perfect, like finding solutions for graphics or posting different sections, will probably costs you more time than it's worth.

The Pearls is a very good idea. I started something like that a while ago. I'll contact you later to see if we can work together. Also here, the simplest way would be to create some smart link to each other' s website. Elke can do the work for it.

Dick
wriedmann

I hate web-fora!

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,
If you have some time for it, and I know how hard this is to find, you could try to see if you can post the messages in the NG in the simplest possible form, making them more widely + off line available.
yes, unfortunately time is very hard to find.... But I will try it again.
The Pearls is a very good idea. I started something like that a while ago. I'll contact you later to see if we can work together. Also here, the simplest way would be to create some smart link to each other' s website.
of course I will add a link to your page - please let me know the URL. The important thing is to have the important informations most widely available.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
wolfgang@riedmann.it