XIDE and /doc

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Frank Maraite

XIDE and /doc

Post by Frank Maraite »

Hi Chris,

since X# supports /doc it's crying for the code documentation comments (CDC) (XS1591). Of course I have many but now it's time to have support for them in XIDE too.

CDC's have to be just before the entity, for example:

Code: Select all

/// <summary>
/// FMString does ...
/// </summary>
/// <example>
/// </example>
PARTIAL STATIC CLASS FMString
After collapsing the comments are still visible. Since these comments can be longer then the entity itself they should belong to the entity and then collapse with them.

Thanks in advance
Frank
Chris

XIDE and /doc

Post by Chris »

Hi Frank,

Sorry for my delay in answering this, wanted to look closely into it before getting back to you, but with all the testing etc for the new x# build, unfortunately I forgot.

Anyway, implementing this properly is difficult without slowing down the editor, but I think I have an idea on how to implement it relatively easily, by hardcoding the editor to always (at least when an option is set) treat comments starting with 3 slashes as doc comments, no matter where they are located. I assume you always use triple slashes for code doc comments, is that right? And you never use triple slashes (as comment markers) anywhere else in the code?

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Frank Maraite

XIDE and /doc

Post by Frank Maraite »

Hi Chris,

do the important things first.

Yeah, I never understood why the comments are before the entity and not just the after the first line of them. This would be more consistent

method foo
/// <summary> foo is ... </summary>

or am I wrong?

OK, it is like it is. Of course three slashes are reserved for the CDC's. And if I used them accidently otherwise I have to correct that not you.

I'm on holiday the next two weeks. So you can take the time you need.

Thanks

Frank