new compiler version 1.1

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Phil Hepburn

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Robert and TEAM,

Thanks for the newest version of the compiler - I have it downloaded and now installed. I am testing it out on the research and test app I am creating - related to the session material for Cologne 16 - 19 2018.

First of all the app did not a first compile with the new version - even though it had been with the old (previous) compiler. Eventually, I found that by changing a VO flag it got me able to compile. I attach a image or two to show what I got and needed to correct.
RvdHfeedback_01.jpg
RvdHfeedback_01.jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 325 times
RvdHfeedback_02.jpg
RvdHfeedback_02.jpg (82.53 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Since I started the small WPF app from the start - a new template etc., I have no idea why the VO flags were an issue, as I've never used them while doing my WPF work in the last 12 months.

I will keep an eye on things over the next few days / weeks.

Oh! - sorry, but I also ought to report that with the new 1.1 compiler in VS Prof. 2015, I now get some editor window lock-ups on quite a regular basis. Not really disastrous but quite annoying for any serious work I should think. I can't quite work out why they are happening, but they certainly weren't there previously.

Hope this helps, and THANKS for all the TEAM effort.
Cheers,
Phil.
Chris

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Chris »

Hi Phil,

So the "Treat missing types as USUAL" option was enabled before and you disabled it now? If that's so, I think the older compiler versions were ignoring this option, but now the compiler properly checks it. Probably this was enabled in the project by accident (or old template?), it shouldn't bother you any more.

About the editor lock ups, can you please zip and post a solution which has that problem? Please also include info about in which prg you see the lockups, in doing what (simply typing, invoking intellisense etc).

Also as an experiment, please go to Options/Text Editor/XSharp and in the Tabs page set Indenting to None. Then in Intellisense page set Keyword Sync to Nonw. Do the above make a difference on this problem?

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response, yes, you are/were right about the USUAL stuff - I never touched anything previously.

I did have to change the flag from TRUE, it was the only flag set at TRUE.

I will see what happens after I try what you say in VS.

As a guess it seems to me that the long 'pause' of short lock-ups happen when I change the editor mode from run tot edit - just by clicking in the editor surface.

I will go and see what I can learn.

Oh! by the way, I have made and run a few trial X# samples on Generic classes, so I may solve my Type issues the Generic way. Still interested in anything you can say about my questions on Type related issues however.

Cheers,
Phil.
Chris

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Chris »

Hi Phil,

Sorry did no understand, what do you mean by "when I change the editor mode from run to edit"?

Not trying to question your problem report at all, I'm just trying to understand the circumstances under which it happens.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Chris,

Okay, sorry for being vague and not using very expressive (good) words.

I have just been getting my Generic class to work for the wrapper to go around System.Array class and so I am now much more familiar with where the time delays (freezes) happen.

I have the editor open for the X# class I am working on.

I then save the changes and run the compiler to get an app execution.

After the running of my app it completes and I then try to place my cursor somewhere slightly different in the X~ code - to edit or add more code. This is where it seems to regularly happen. I made all the changes you suggested in the Tools sub menus but it seemed to stay the same.

Does this help or do you wish me to make a short screen capture video to show you?

I am running a very small app, and although it is from the WPF template I am not actually using the XAML / WPF parts - just adding small test code classes and methods to the Initializing method.

It was doing okay before the new download/install.

Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Now then, time for bed I feel. had enough success for one night with my Generics and the user defined array index limits ;-0)

Cheers,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
Chris

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Chris »

Hi Phil,

Please create a new simple WPF project, build it and run it, do you see the same problem in the editor? If yes, then we need to understand exactly what the delay is, as I can't reproduce it here. If you are not seeing the problem with the new small WPF project, can you please zip and send me the original project that does show this problem?

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Thanks Chris,

yes, I will certainly do that for you.

I have been doing more development work this morning with the same app - AND - there is certainly something not right. I am a survivor though, so I have made some good progress.

While I go and do the 'homework' for you, can you help me by telling me how to correctly code this C# line in X# :-

Code: Select all

// Resize the array to a bigger size (five elements larger).
        Array.Resize(ref myArr, myArr.Length + 5);
Speak again soon,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
Phil Hepburn

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Chris,

Well, I have done the tests for you.

And it would appear that in my new solution/project (template WPF) I get the same behaviour in the editor, but only when I have put a bunch of code lines (including commented lines) into the same PRG file - this is open in the editor.

I seem to get it when I compile and run the code, then after completeion of execution I try to use the editor and reposition my cursor, and quite often it is when the cursor is in the commented green code.

For your interest I have had something strange happen in the editor window - probably a total of six times today / yesterday - check the image to see a scrambled image with spurious content over my code lines :-
ChrisTests_01.jpg
ChrisTests_01.jpg (78 KiB) Viewed 325 times
The blue part should not be shown - it is content of the Output (or similar) window showing in my editor window. If I move a tab back then forward it goes away, or clears itself.

Sorry I can't be more help - but keep on asking if it may help things.

Cheers,
Phil.
FFF

new compiler version 1.1

Post by FFF »

Phil

FUNCTION Start( ) AS VOID
LOCAL a AS INT[]
a:= INT[]{2}
FOREACH VAR x IN a
? "before: ", x
NEXT

Array.Resize(a, a.Length + 3)

FOREACH VAR x IN a
? "after: ", x
NEXT

RETURN

HTH
Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Phil Hepburn

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Thanks Karl,

I will revisit this part of my Generic 'wrapper' class.

I thought I had already tried something like this and got an error - maybe I was mistaken.

Why does the MS eNote detail show a REF, and why do you simply use an object input parameter??

If it goes wrong again I will capture the error message.

Now then, back to carpet fitting on my hands and knees.

Cheers,
Phil.