'Reporting' Progress !

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Phil Hepburn

'Reporting' Progress !

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi guys,

Thought that some of you may be interested to see something colourful regarding my progress with the research into quality .NET report creation with X# - ready for the Cologne Conference in mid April (16th- 19th).

The attached image shows a small X# app I have put together, to show and select from a bunch of existing reports. The same app will allow us to make some new reports in real time in the sessions, and save and retrieve them later. Reports will be designed in the GUI design surface.

Check this :- [ .. note this is still very much "work in progress" ... ]
XSforumReports_01.jpg
XSforumReports_01.jpg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 127 times
Remember however, that the session will be about Printing as well as Reporting. All 'fun' stuff - when it works.

I am now about to embark on the section of my eNotes where we cover in detail coding report, yes, making a report or two without a GUI designer in sight! - some guys want to feel pain it would seem :blink: :ohmy: I know wehre my preferences lie.

Fingers crossed that I don't have to bother Nick Friend too much - yes, he is a master at code generated DX reports - it would seem. Good old Nick;-0)

Cheers,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
Phil Hepburn

'Reporting' Progress !

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Okay then guys,

a little more progress this afternoon - have now managed to code a simple first report. And that was without contacting Nick and chewing his ears ;-0) I will leave his input to when I get really 'stuck'!

Here is a quick look at what has been happening here in Newport :-
XSforumReports_02.jpg
XSforumReports_02.jpg (94.81 KiB) Viewed 127 times
Okay, not much happening except me thanking Nick for his help - so to speak.

And here is an early version which was printed out from a menu bar icon 'tool' :-
XSforumReports_03.jpg
XSforumReports_03.jpg (87.45 KiB) Viewed 127 times
The good news is that once we have a 'shape' to making a simple report we can improve it and make it more complex, quite often much more easily than trying to get the first attempts to work / function.

Even in the best eNotes from DevExpress (and others) it easy to exclude the all important assemblies for the References section and the 'USING' statements top of page for the required Namespaces. This can all get to be a time consuming fiddle about - UNTIL - we get a breakthrough and get a first simple report to 'stick' - work that is ;-0)

Now I feel I have earned a nice cup of tea !!!

Regards to all,
Especially Nick, who is to help me when I get stuck ;-0)
Phil.
Wales, UK.
Phil Hepburn

'Reporting' Progress !

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Sorry folks,

I should have showed the two lines of code which actually call the little report class and run the STATIC method to have it display.

here is what is in the Constructor of a calling WPF window class of mine :-
XSforumReports_04.jpg
XSforumReports_04.jpg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 127 times
Regards,
Phil.