Visual Studio update

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Juraj

Visual Studio update

Post by Juraj »

Hi All,

After upgrading VS 2017 Comunity to version 15.6.1, an error was found.
After opening the project, the first Build is OK, and if I do not make any changes to the project and rebuild it, the VS will remain in a state that it can not run again. VS can not close, switch project or load another project. VS will see this vote. "The build must be stoped before can be closed". In colum Build is enabled only "Run conde anal...." or "Cancel". Click on Cancel has no effect.
But you can save the content from editor.
I use X# version 1.1.2.0
In C# VS work OK.

Juraj
Attachments
vserror02.png
vserror02.png (49.28 KiB) Viewed 331 times
robert

Visual Studio update

Post by robert »

Juraj,

I am sorry to hear this.
The fact that the menu options are disabled means that VS thinks that the build it not over yet. Maybe you can kill the XSCompiler.exe background process ?
Or one of the (many) MsBuild background processes ?
I will look into this asap.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Juraj

Visual Studio update

Post by Juraj »

Hi Robert,

if I close the XSCompilere in the Task manager, the Visual studio does not make the most changes,
build menu an Project menu are disabled.

Juraj
ic2

Visual Studio update

Post by ic2 »

Hello Juraj,

Did it work before 15.6.1? You should be able to undo the upgrade of VS. I've seen more than once that running a VS upgrade (or any upgrade, mainly when coming from Microsoft) causes problems so my policy is to postpone upgrades as long as possible, including W10 upgrades. This serves me well as it brings down problem solving time per year considerably. In general for every step forward a Microsoft upgrades goes one step back elsewhere.

Dick
Juraj

Visual Studio update

Post by Juraj »

Hi Dick

yes, Visual Studio 15.6.0 work OK, error occurred after the update to version 15.6.1.
I can not go back VS to the previous version. I am currently using 2015 which works well.

Juraj
robert

Visual Studio update

Post by robert »

Juraj,

I know that you can't uninstall VS updates and neither can you download a specific version.
We (as 3rd party developers) have asked Ms to make that possible but it is not possible yet.
We are looking at the issue and will let you know if and when we have a solution.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Juraj

Visual Studio update

Post by Juraj »

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the info, I have installed VS2015, I can without omission or limitation to continue working. I'm looking at your information

Juraj
ic2

Visual Studio update

Post by ic2 »

Hello Juraj,
I can not go back VS to the previous version. I am currently using 2015 which works well.
That's true indeed. One of the other reasons I am reluctant to update often; my last update for Visual Studio 2017 was January 29, 2018 ;version 15.5.6.

Dick
boonnam

Visual Studio update

Post by boonnam »

I just want to say I'm having the same problem as well. I'm using VS 2017. My version is 15.6.2. Yesterday, after I ran the update, every time I run my application (crash or no crash), I cannot re-run my application or stop the build. I can't even shutdown VS unless I kill it from the Task Manager. Once I restart VS, everything is normal again until I run the application.

As far I can tell this is not an issue with C#, but I am using a very small project to test.
robert

Visual Studio update

Post by robert »

Boonnam, Juraj,

I have been able to reproduce the problem and I will upload a fix to the server later tonight.
There has been a change in MsBuild and this change causes an incomplete messageEvent object to be send to our "BuildLogger", the component that translates messages and errors and shows them on the Output window and the ErrorList.
I will let you know when the fix is online.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu