Thanks for welcome

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
AlwynJB

Thanks for welcome

Post by AlwynJB »

Hi all,

At last I am about to launch myself into X# and looking forward to it.

It seems the team have made huge progress since I last looked ages ago.

Sadly I've been too busy (and/or working in Vulcan too slowly) recently. (I think it's an age thing! - my excuse.)

Alwyn J-B
wriedmann

Thanks for welcome

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Alwyn,

I don't know when you looked the last time, but the compiler is in a very good state, and it is now more than two years that I have applications built with X# in production - initially only small Windows Services and command line programs, but now also GUI applications, both written from scratch using WPF and moved over from Vulcan. And now I'm finishing the migration of the first VO application that I hope to put in production in the next weeks.

The compiler is more powerful than Vulcans compiler even was (LinQ, generics, dynamics, all these things work), and at the same time more compatible to VO than Vulcan - and it finds errors in my old VO code...

With X# programming is really funny, and whenever I have to return to VO (most of my programming currently is in VO), I wish I could continue to work in X#.

We have also built a small documentation wiki (entirely user driven), where you should find some documentation, issues and samples, and as every wiki, this is not yet complete and will never be.... If you miss something or wish to contribute, please let me know: https://docs.xsharp.it

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
AlwynJB

Thanks for welcome

Post by AlwynJB »

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your response, but I have a problem.

I'm sure you could explain the following:

I have installed X#. It is in "Program Files (x86)" and the Microsoft Help Viewer lists help for X# (XSharp) 1.1.1 (and the BYOR documentation) but if I try to create a new Project in VS Community 2015 there is no template for X#. Am I missing something? Register X# with VS somehow?

I have re-started the PC in case that might help but it didn't.

Any ideas?

Alwyn
wriedmann

Thanks for welcome

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Alwyn,

do you have installed X# before Visual Studio?

Wolfgang

P.S. unfortunately I prefer XIDE, but in my Visual Studio installation (2015 Community too) the X# project types show up:
vs_xsharp.png
vs_xsharp.png (20.15 KiB) Viewed 405 times
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Terry

Thanks for welcome

Post by Terry »

Hi Alwyn

Good to see you here. I'm in much the same position as you - been here just a few weeks and only C# to fall back on. I by-passed Vulcan.

All the best

Terry
Chris

Thanks for welcome

Post by Chris »

Hi Alwyn and very nice seeing you here! :)

About VS, better try uninstalling X# and installing it again. Does the installer prompt you to install VS integration? (in the page where you can select compiler, VS, XIDE files etc)

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
AlwynJB

Thanks for welcome

Post by AlwynJB »

Hi Terry,

How are you?

Long time no see.

Alwyn
AlwynJB

Thanks for welcome

Post by AlwynJB »

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you again.

I've been busy gardening all day but will try again in the morning. I'm knackered.

Many thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

Alwyn
ic2

Thanks for welcome

Post by ic2 »

Hello Alwyn,

Welcome in the X# community.

For all VS versions 2015, 2017 including Community, X# is definitely present as a template. You will even see the XPorter in the Tools window. Do you see that?

I recommend to reinstall X#; it will take a few minutes and it will tell you during the installation what it is doing with VS integration.

Dick
AlwynJB

Thanks for welcome

Post by AlwynJB »

Hello Dick,

Thanks for your support and advice.

I uninstalled X# and re-installed. I accepted all the parts offered including the XPorter.

X# appears in the Win 10 Start menu as expected.

But VS-15 Community doesn't recognise it. When trying to create a new project in VS there is no option for X# though I have options for C#, VB, F#, C++, Vulcan and others. And it is not listed under "Other Project Types".

And the About Window in VS doesn't list X#

So I'm stuck!

Alwyn