VS 2017 getting "locked up"

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Bernhard Mayer

Post by Bernhard Mayer »

Dear fellow X#ers!

A few days ago the Windows Updates made my Notebook unuseable ("Permanent boot loop" is the closest description I can find - thanks, Microsoft) so it had to be installed completely new.

Since then I encountered a problem I never had with VS before:

[*]I'm coding in the VS source code editor without problems.

[*]The coding is "completed" (Meaning there are no "incomplete" source code constructs).

[*]I switch to another application, e.g. copy something to the clipboard or have a look at another document.

[*]When I try to return to VS it is completely "locked" as if it was suddenly in read only mode or if an invisible modal dialog window was opened (No "VS is waiting for some process to be finished" message to be seen); I see the cursor blinking in the VS editor but it does not responsd to any key or mouse click.

Did anyone see such a behaviour before? I had it several times and I'm using Win 10 [10.0.17134.48], VS 2017 Enterprise 15.7.3 with X# 1.2.
SHirsch

Post by SHirsch »

Hi Bernhard,

same here at one VM. It ran Windows Update yesterday. After going back to 10.0.16299.431 it is working again.

Stefan
ic2

Post by ic2 »

My general advice to both my customers and the readers of the IDG articles I write is to postpone Microsoft updates as long as possible. From W10 Professional you can postpone feature updates a full year via Settings and you can postpone security updates a month. Unfortunately users experience more problems by always applying updates than by postponing them (a while).

The incident you both reported is once again a proof that postponing is a good strategy. Not only are most problems solved if you install feature versions later, but also the frequency of problem solving goes down from weekly to a few times a year (I apply the security updates once every 2-3 months).

Dick
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi Bernhard

How long did you leave it to sort itself out?

I too have experienced something similar using VS Pro and C# on same Windows Build as you.

Leaving it for about 45 secs and it unlocks.

I've recently noticed my AVG security software is responding to some VS actions to which it was not responding a few weeks ago.

I tend to think that secrity is being tightened up with every upgrade. I can live with the occasional minor hiccup, but otherwise would follow Dick's advice.

Terry
Bernhard Mayer

Post by Bernhard Mayer »

Hi Terry!

5 - 10 minutes after the initial "lockdown" VS will close and restart itself.

Best regards,
Bernhard