A conceptual explanation would be good - where can I find it

Have some feedback and input to share?
Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

This is my second evening since I met X# and this site. I have downloaded VS and installed but got stuck. Looked around the site, great lot of information, I know it will help me when I have my ducks in a row, but at the moment I am still scouting for a conceptual explanation for what and how.
What do I need to install to get the sample app "Basic App" to compile and run?
I have Installed XIDE and loaded the basic app but it tells me that I am missing the Vulcan compiler. The reason I am writing this is to indicate that if Johan would not be that helpful and I would not see Robert's name appearing all over the place I would have gone "home". Perhaps a little more new-user focus could help the site, Regards Tom
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Tom,
nice to see you here, I hope I can help.
About XIDE, I'm pretty sure Chris will jump in and give you some advices, but from my guess, it means that you don't own Vulcan, so currently you will to be sure to go on X# core-dialect : From there, you may/will miss some features (Runtime Functions, Rdds, ... )because these are underway (You have seen the Beta annoucement about Runtime, and Rdds are under heavy dev now); it might be a good point to start and familiarize with .NET features first.
About VS, this might more be in my fields : From there, after VS intallation (Community or other version), you will need to install X#.
Then, go to File/New Project, choose XSharp as a language, and there choose Windows Forms Application : You can now develop a Windows Form Application, using .NET features, and X# language. Again, you will miss the Runtime and Rdds for the same reasons as before.

Now about "Education" : We discussed during the Koln Event, and not the Koln Concert from Keith Jarrett unfortunatly.. :), to create a YouTube Channel with (at first) short Videos (3/5 min) for "How to...".
The Channel exist now, but is empty...And as soon as I have finished with the Final Exams here (Yes, French Academic Year start in September and Ends in June/July), my goal is to produce some "How to setup", "Compile my first app", ... so all ideas are welcome !! :)

Regards,
Fab
XSharp Development Team
fabrice(at)xsharp.eu
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Tom,

maybe you can find some help also on the pages of the X# Documentation Project - a community driven wiki at docs.xsharp.it

Personally I like XIDE much more than Visual Studio (and I know I'm in the minority <g>), but it feels much more like the Visual Objects IDE.

If you use the XIDE, you can select easily the dialect. "Core" does not need anything because it is basically the C# compiler with xBase syntax.
For both the Vulcan and the VO dialects you need a sort of runtime - the Vulcan one if you already own Vulcan (but you do not), or the newly released beta version of the X# runtime. Unfortunately you will have to wait a few days until it is released to the public - at the moment it is available only to the (paying) subscribers of the FoX program.

I can assure you that this runtime works great, and much faster than the Vulcan runtime, but unfortunately we (the FoX members) have found some small glitches that will be fixed (or are already fixed) before the public release will be made.

The X# development roadmap is here: www.xsharp.eu/articles/the-xsharp-development-roadmap-for-2018

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
tom@dieselworks.com.au

Post by tom@dieselworks.com.au »

Hi Fabrice, Great to be in contact again :-) thanks for the reply. the youtube series is a very good idea but what I was trying to point out that the Home-page of the site lost the focus a little IMO. I always followed the rule that the Home page is there to capture the newcomers. People who know the site will navigate through the menu. the home page is there to attract the person tumbled to the site, so in my opinion it should be telling people what is X# about - and that should be the focus, clear and simple , Regards Tom
robert

Post by robert »

Tom,
Thanks for the suggestion.
At this moment we are using the home page more like a news page with the latest messages, comments and forum posts, and you suggest to put some (static ?) content on it to help people getting started.
I think that is a great idea. And we can still also have some news content on it as well, to show that the website is alive.
We will give this some thought. Thanks for the suggestion.
Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu