X# - Languages and Dialects

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi All,

I run into a new issue. In the projects I found that X# has Languages and also Dialects. I tried to get the grasp of these but still not clear. As I understand, VO is coming as the language option, but we have it as a dialect

How does it work? or rather what does this mean?

TIA

Tom
robert

Post by robert »

Tom,
The terminology Language and Dialect is sometimes mixed and I can understand that this is confusing. We use these terms to enable or disable a group of features. When compiling the compiler needs to be called with a dialect on the command line. The VS Integration for our language takes care of that. If you select the Vulcan dialect on the project properties page then a commandline option will be generated to set the dialect to Vulcan.

If you look at https://www.xsharp.eu/help/dialects.html you will see the differences between the dialects.
For example:
- in the Core dialect we do NOT support the VO compatible datatypes such as USUAL or DATE
- In the Core dialect we do NOT support the Clipper calling convention (functions or methods with untyped parameters)
- VO Indexes the PSZ type with a 1 based indexer
- Vulcan indexes the PSZ type with a 0 based indexer
- VO allows to abbreviate keywords to a 4 letter abbreviation (so CLAS is the same as CLASS in VO)

These differences have nothing to do with the runtime DLLs that are used. So they work both if you use the Vulcan Runtime DLLs (that come with the Vulcan product) but also if you use the X# Runtime DLLs.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu