OT: @Johan or Rene: PG

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
FFF

Post by FFF »

Hi Johan/Rene!
Is one of you active on the PG mailing list? Up to now i don't have an account, so can't ask myself:
My provider serves on his shared hosts only PG 9.4 - i asked why, the answer: they use, what the debian guys include in their stable builds - and that seems still to be this heavily outdated version. Maybe, a hint might help ;)

TIA
Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl,

this is a Debian thing - I'm using this distribution on all of my Linux servers because it is rocksolid, and upgradeable in place for years....

In fact, Debian Jessie supports only PG 9.4:
https://packages.debian.org/de/jessie/postgresql

Debian Stretch, the most actual version, supports PG 9.6:
https://packages.debian.org/de/stretch/postgresql

Of course you can install a newer version on the server, but I would not do it as only the version delivered as system package will be updated when you install security updates.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
FFF

Post by FFF »

Wolfgang,
i know. But in my case i can't install on the server, i have to use, what "they" provide. Given, that PG 11 is due the next 2 months, and PG 10 is in fact 10.4, i thought maybe the PG-side might push a bit...

Karl
Regards
Karl
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

FFF wrote:Hi Johan/Rene!
Is one of you active on the PG mailing list?
Yes I am.
My provider serves on his shared hosts only PG 9.4 - i asked why, the answer: they use, what the debian guys include in their stable builds - and that seems still to be this heavily outdated version. Maybe, a hint might help ;)
I am as outdated as they are, newest 9.4, although I run on my desktop 8.4, 9.1,9.2,9.3
Not sure what you need from 10, as 9.4 serves more than what I require. Not using json yet, happy that I can do CTE and RETURNING. Out perform any database by a factor of 20 over a network.
HTH,
FFF

Post by FFF »

Johan,
me? Nothing, probably. As i wouldn't need most things after Vo 2.0 ;)
But 9.4 is from 2014, 9.6 from 9/2016, a ton of cool things in replication, security and parallel processing was introduced with 10, which is now already due to give way to 11. I simply think, given the reliability record of the PG-folks, it looks "bad" if debian keeps them back, that's all.
Regards
Karl
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hi Karl,

My experience with pg is with Windows OS (both desktop and server). We are using pg 10.4; and so far goes so well in-prem as well as cloud.

Microsoft Azure database instance for pg are at 10.3, 9.6, 9.5
More here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... d-versions

That will give you a hint stable build of pg. But so far, the following are the supported stable build;
10.4 · 2018-05-10
9.6.9 · 2018-05-10
9.5.13 · 2018-05-10
9.4.18 · 2018-05-10
9.3.23 · 2018-05-10

We will start evaluating pg 11 beta in coming weeks when we can spare some unused PC to use as test ground.

HTH

Rene
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

PostgreSQL Global Development Group stated in their latest versioning system which can be illustrated in the following:

Previous versioning:
9.x.y where x is major upgrade of the main version 9; with y as minor upgrade over x.

Current versioning:
10.x is now equivalent to y; therefore, when it goes for x upgrade, they will add 1 to the main version number, in this case is 10+1 = 11

That is why today, we have 11 in beta. Using 9 versioning, it should be 10.1; the current release 10.4 should have been 10.0.4

Just a thought and my interpretation of the their new versioning system.

Maybe, people see pg is outdated due to a conservative approach to version numbers.

just a thought,

Rene
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

FFF wrote:Wolfgang,
i know. But in my case i can't install on the server, i have to use, what "they" provide. Given, that PG 11 is due the next 2 months, and PG 10 is in fact 10.4, i thought maybe the PG-side might push a bit...

Karl
I am thinking of using Linux on our next server: what do you think is most "user friendly": CentOS or Debian or Ubuntu? I considered myself a returning *nix user but that was 20+ years ago when I administered a Xenix (and Netware) servers with Win98 and NT4 in tow. On that Xenix, I administered a FoxBASE apps (not mine) and as a Clipper head at that time, I wonder if time goes back around maybe, I can give that a spin with Clipper for *nix.

Anyway, I am happy with Windows Server 2016, easy and "paid".

Regards,

Rene
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hi Johan,

10 included something that are very important to me and I even forget what it is.

More here: https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/po ... t-database

Years ago, it was big issue in pg community when Uber replaces some portion of their database to MySQL from pg. It was discussed to deep that I can fall asleep reading it. The main point is the lack of logical replication pg on prior version and other "cooler" stuff

We are using streaming replication, but maybe someday, I will do some logical replication as well. Partitioning? I will find a way to appreciate that in the future. I am ready for testing 11 but for now, 10.4 is our main pg version.

Rene
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

FFF wrote:Johan,
me? Nothing, probably. As i wouldn't need most things after Vo 2.0 ;)
But 9.4 is from 2014, 9.6 from 9/2016, a ton of cool things in replication, security and parallel processing was introduced with 10, which is now already due to give way to 11. I simply think, given the reliability record of the PG-folks, it looks "bad" if debian keeps them back, that's all.
As Wolfgang has stated, it is a Debian thing. Considering that distro was created by a OCD person Ian (RIP) whom added his former gf Debbie's name to it, they are as obsessed with stability that maybe I will like them for being like that. But pg 10 is really cool to missed.