Ambiguous methods

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Kromi

Ambiguous methods

Post by Kromi »

Hi,

I have the following demo code. In Vulcan.NET, it compiles and runs as expected. The X# compiler gives the error

XS0121 The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: 'XS1715_XS.Log.Debug(string, params object[])' and 'XS1715_XS.Log.Debug(string, System.Exception, params object[])' XS1715_XS

Is this intended?

Mathias

Code: Select all

PUBLIC STATIC CLASS Log
        PUBLIC STATIC METHOD Debug(pcMessage AS STRING, [ParamArray] poArgs AS OBJECT[]) AS VOID
            Console.WriteLine(STRING.Format(pcMessage, poArgs))

PUBLIC STATIC METHOD Debug(pcMessage AS STRING, poException AS Exception, [ParamArray] poArgs AS OBJECT[]) AS VOID
            Console.WriteLine(STRING.Format(pcMessage, poArgs))
            Console.WriteLine(poException)

END CLASS

FUNCTION Start() AS VOID

Console.WriteLine("Hello World!")

LOCAL uArgument := "Test" AS USUAL
        Log.Debug("Log Message", uArgument)

Console.WriteLine("Press any key to continue...")
        Console.ReadKey()
Attachments
Compatibility.zip
(774.48 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Otto

Ambiguous methods

Post by Otto »

I see 2 things I think are troublesome:
[*]
[*]an usual is used, so the compiler can't see whether an exception is put into it or not.
[*]if you would specify it as an 'exception', both methods can be applicable, because the parameterlist is specified as object[] which can also accommodate an 'exception'

Because of the second point, I can understand the warning 'ambiguous method'.

You could use just one method (the first one), and first test whether the first argument is a 'exception' (sub)type and then decide what to do.
Kromi

Ambiguous methods

Post by Kromi »

Hi Otto,

I agree that this is easy to solve by changing the code. But I don't want to change the code, because it is very very much code and it was working before (with Vulcan.NET) and now it doesn't (with X#).

So at least I want to check back whether this incompatibility is intentional.

Regards,
Mathias
Chris

Ambiguous methods

Post by Chris »

Hi Mathias,

The thing is that in many cases vulcan allowed some code to compile, but at runtime it would often behave differently to what you expect, or throw exceptions. In this sample, it seems this is not the case, but adjusting x# to have the same behavior with vulcan here, could lead to create potential problems elsewhere.

We will have a look, but in the meantime, are you using this code a lot? Can you type the uArgument LOCAL as OBJECT, instead of USUAL? Or is it possible to change the way it is being called to:

Log.Debug("Log Message", (object)uArgument)

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Kromi

Ambiguous methods

Post by Kromi »

Hi Chris,

I cannot really estimate how often we use this code because I'm not yet able to compile everything, but since Usuals have been used in our code a lot, I fear that this affects us pretty heavily.

Mathias
Chris

Ambiguous methods

Post by Chris »

Hi Mathias,
Kromi wrote: I cannot really estimate how often we use this code because I'm not yet able to compile everything, but since Usuals have been used in our code a lot, I fear that this affects us pretty heavily.
Just to be clear, this is not a general vulcan-incompatibility with USUALs, it's only with this very specific case of using [ParamArray] in 2 separate overloaded methods and passing a USUAL to them. I think usually such a construct is very rare, do you indeed use this a lot in your code? Anyway, I will log this and will see if Robert can find a quick solution without harming anything else.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu