Impressive functions in Visual Studio 2017

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
ArneOrtlinghaus

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

I do not want to make advertising for Microsoft products. But it impressed me when I made my first debugging experiments using Visual Studio 2017 instead of Version 2015.
- The program generated exceptions
- Visual Studio did not interrupt processing, bud showed an exception in a window "Events".
- I could click on a link called "Activate Historical Debugging" and I arrived at the line that generated the exception. I see the watch results as when making a break point at that line and examining in real time.

Probably this did exist already in VS 2015, but now without making any special settings I got these results.

I remember some years ago where "Historical debugging" had been announced for Vulcan, but I never bothered about. This feature now seem to be something related and it is really a nice feature.

Arne
Attachments
exceptions_and_historical_debugging.png
exceptions_and_historical_debugging.png (107.98 KiB) Viewed 107 times
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Arne,
ArneOrtlinghaus wrote:
I could click on a link called "Activate Historical Debugging" and I arrived at the line that generated the exception.
Arne
Thanks for sharing this with us. Debugging is one of the major reasons I hate VS and I've posted this problem more than once. Basically the idea is that while in VO you can often directly pinpoint the source of a runtime error, in VS you can not. I've posted this problem in multiple forums without a satisfying solution.

I will check this out soon because this sounds like this is exactly what I was looking for all the time.

Dick