Test VS2019 with XSharp

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
Juraj

Test VS2019 with XSharp

Post by Juraj »

Hi
after installing Beta8 I tested the VS2019. The project created in VS2017 was opened and worked OK.
If I wanted to create a new XSharp project, I could not choose XSharp on the Create a new... screnn.
The ComboBox "Language" because I did not find item "XSharp". Screen in attachment

Juraj
Attachments
VS2019Test.png
VS2019Test.png (65.58 KiB) Viewed 260 times
robert

Test VS2019 with XSharp

Post by robert »

Juraj,

I know, this is stupid. Someone at Ms decided to hard code the languages, If you know the template name (like VO Console) you will be able to find it if you type the name in the search box. Or you will have to scroll down the list.

I have already approached some people at Ms and told them politely what a great idea this was. And I was not the only one.
If you go to Gitter.Im you can see several messages about this in the "extendvs" room.

For now you can also disable this dialog in 2019: Goto Tools/Options and then choose Environment - Preview Features.
There you can disable the "Search and filter options for creating new projects" and you will get the old dialog back on which X# is shown as before,

I was told that in preview 2 this will still be a problem, but it might be resolved in preview 3.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Juraj

Test VS2019 with XSharp

Post by Juraj »

Hi Robert

Thanks for replying, after switching off "Search and filter options for creating new projects" I can create a new XSharp project.

Merry Christmas

Juraj
ic2

Test VS2019 with XSharp

Post by ic2 »

robert wrote:Juraj,

I know, this is stupid. Someone at Ms decided to hard code the languages
I have already approached some people at Ms and told them politely what a great idea this was. And I was not the only one.
I was told that in preview 2 this will still be a problem, but it might be resolved in preview 3.

Robert
Telling Microsoft something is not a good idea is like shouting to a deaf person. Many examples, e.g. Skype. If you look at reviews (like https://nl.trustpilot.com/review/www.sk ... guages=all) it is now rated only 1 star but nobody at Microsoft has the courage to tell their bosses that the previous version should be reinstated.

So once they have a bad idea they will maintain using it until the product is dead. It would surprise me if that is different for Visual Studio.

Dick