Data driven articles first verdict

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
ic2

Post by ic2 »

I have started reading the articles from Johan Nel about Datadriven programming. Nearly halfway now and I must say it's well written, also with a lot of humor. Just to give you a small preview: the lessons are written using an imaginary company selling software, like a HelloWorld program in lesson 3 and they get euphoric with the idea how much can be created with hardly any programming effort, which of course means that the design is far from maintainable or datadriven. Like this phrase:

Some oversight during Q&A since the application title does not show HelloWorldVN, but still show the default Basic Form Application, which might create confusion in selecting the correct application to do the job in between all the running applications on the user’s computer, it will definitely enhance productivity if the HelloWorldVN application can be found quickly and not through trial and error.

I would expect the articles to be found in the "Articles" menu of this website but unfortunately they are quite hidden.

This URL will bring you to the download section where you can find them:

https://www.xsharp.eu/itm-downloads?fol ... DataDriven

I hope to finish reading in the next couple of weeks.

Dick
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi Dick / Johan

I probably will not have time to read Johan’s latest articles on Data Driven Programming, nor will I need to. This is because Johan addressed and explained the topic very well some years ago. (An old VO newsgroup I think).

Of course, things have moved on since then, but the underlying principles will remain the same.

I have been using DDP techniques as a development methodology for some time now, and can confidently vouch for their value in many circumstances. It is true to say that, by using them, I have been able “computerise” solutions to a number of problems which otherwise, I suspect, would have proved impossible.

I agree with you, Dick, that the articles would be better placed in the “Articles” menu of this website, although it is not immediately obvious to me how to post articles there.

Terry
robert

Post by robert »

DIck,

I have added a menu option "user contributions" in the articles menu that contains articles that allow you to quickly jump to the downloads

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Robert,
I have added a menu option "user contributions" in the articles menu that contains articles that allow you to quickly jump to the downloads
Looks good; thanks. User contributions are very helpful and these can now be discovered much easier. I also found 8 PDF's about building web applications, in from Danilo in Italian and translated by Nick (didn't you you learned Italian Nick).

Dick