notification emails

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Karl-Heinz

notification emails

Post by Karl-Heinz »

since this morning I don´t get notification emails anymore, if someone has replyed. ?

anyone else out there with the same problem ?

regards
Karl-Heinz
robert

notification emails

Post by robert »

Karl Heinz

Your server has bounced some messages with the report “suspicious message”

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Terry

notification emails

Post by Terry »

Something has changed, somewhere, very recently.
For a long time My LogIn / LogOut Button has not been available. Now mysteriously I have been logged out.

Responding to your post gives me an opportunity to try out logging in.

Terry
Terry

notification emails

Post by Terry »

Something has changed, somewhere, very recently.
For a long time My LogIn / LogOut Button has not been available. Now mysteriously I have been logged out.

Responding to your post gives me an opportunity to try out logging in.

Terry
Terry

notification emails

Post by Terry »

Oh dear! Now I've lost a log out button.

Terry
Karl-Heinz

notification emails

Post by Karl-Heinz »

Hi Robert,

At the beginning all mails from your info address have been declared as spam. But after i´ve added sharp.info to the whitelist the problems were gone. Now it seems that my freenet.de guys have a new "idea", and declare most of the messages as "suspicious" - before any whitelist is reached.

Til now 2 msgs arrived. The one from Chris ( "Visibility of the DBServer class" ) and Terrys thirth msg ( "notification emails" )

Anyway, if the problems still exists on monday, i´ll change my xsharp email account.

regards
Karl-Heinz
Karl-Heinz

notification emails

Post by Karl-Heinz »

--- german text ----

Hallo Wolfgang,

Du bist doch der Spezi wenn es um inet, mail.server etc. geht. Daher würde ich gerne mal Deine Einschätzung zu folgendem Problem wissen:

Seit Samstag vormittag erhalte ich notification mails manchmal schnell, dann wieder erst stundenlang verzögert. Robert erhält von freenet.de dann:

This is the mail system at host .......

####################################################################
# THIS IS A WARNING ONLY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE. #
####################################################################

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message has not yet
been delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

<khr......net.de> delayed: freenet.de:
451 Suspicious message, please come back later

Ich habe nun freenet angesprochen und darauf hingewiesen, dass der sender auf meiner Whitelist steht und die antworten mir dies hier:

Sehr geehrter Herr Rauscher.

Ihre Whitelist hat mit der Sachlage nichts zu tun.

Bevor Ihre eigenen Filterregeln in Form von White&Blacklist bei einer E-Mail Anwendung finden, werden diese durch einen allgemeinen Spamfilter von unseren Servern geprüft.

Die E-Mail wurde "greylistet" bevor diese Ihr Postfach und somit Ihre Filterregeln erreicht hat, womit Ihre Whitelist in diesem Fall keine Anwendung gefunden hat.

Bitten Sie den Absender bitte darum, die "Retry-Zeit" des verwendeten Mail-Servers zu vergrößern und den Versand anschließend erneut zu starten.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Ihr freenet Team

macht das Sinn an der "Retry-Zeit" zu schrauben ? Ich war bisher der Meinung, dass eine Whitelist verhindert, dass eine sender mail gescant wird ? Wie gesagt dieses Verhalten habe ich erst seit Samstag, und auf meine Nachfrage warum es denn vorher funktionierte erhielt ich keine Antwort.

TIA
Karl-Heinz
wriedmann

notification emails

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl-Heinz,

I'll answer in english.

Greylisting is very common, and the technical head of my provider stated some time ago that is is the most efficient measure against spambots and viruses because they have to send so many messages that they don't have the time to repeat the message sending.
Please see here (both, as the english version has more details):
German: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting
English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting
And your provider is correct: greylisting takes place before any personal whitelist is read. It depends on the implementation if there is any (short and systemwide) whitelist.
A common timeout for greylisting is between 30 and 60 minutes because greylisting should not delay the delivering of messages too much. I suspect that your provider has a too high delay, so you should ask them to lower it.

I don't think Robert's system tries too few times after the first 4xx return code, but of course this could be also an issue.

Please ask if my answer was not clear enough or if you need more informations.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Karl-Heinz

notification emails

Post by Karl-Heinz »

Thanks Wolfgang,

I talked to Robert, and because I´m using the freenet account at two other places only, I will switch the email notification to one of my 1und1 addresses.

regards
Karl-Heinz