OK, I'm clearly a moron. I cannot even get this started.

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

This is probably just a required paradigm shift from me dealing with VO and before that, Clipper, but I just cannot work out what the hell I'm supposed to do to create an app.

1. I DO NOT (and never have ) used Vulcan, but I DO have the apparently required DLL's which I've sourced from a thread here. Yet no matter what type of app I try to create other than X# (I'll come to THAT later) the compiler insists on looking in the VulcanConfig folder for dlls, which obviously doesn't exist as Vulcan has NEVER been installed, and it appears that the "free trial" link no longer exists....

2. I cannot create a DBServer instance as it says I can't "mix X# and VO"

3. Can't do anything in the DBServer editor anyway as both Import and Export buttons do nothing...

4. Even a BLANK new App won't compile without errors:
error XS0006: Metadata file 'VulcanVORDDClasses.dll' could not be found
error XS0006: Metadata file 'VulcanVOSystemClasses.dll' could not be found
error XS0006: Metadata file 'VulcanVOWin32APILibrary.dll' could not be found
Compilation failed (3 errors)

5. X# Keeps adding lines such as:
#include "VOGUIClasses.vh"
#include "Standard Menus.prg.vh"
#include "VOSystemLibrary.vh"
#include "VOSystemClasses.vh"

SOMETIMES I need to delete THOSE lines so it has LESS errors at compile time.

6. It also looks for "VIDE" I'm assuming V for Vulcan.... see point 1

I cannot see how I can make any type of worthwhile app with X#. Everyone is trying to convince me X# is the way to go, and I'm sure it probably is, but I'll be buggered if I can make it work. I've experimented with many various types X#, VO, Vulcan etc no matter which, it won't compile.

I've been through as much help as I can find online, and I'm sure once it's started, I'll be ok. The whole .NET thing is not completely foreign to me as I used to program (albeit minimally I admit) in MS ACCESS 2000 using the Jet 4 engine, but it HAS been a VERY long time...

Any useful advice as to where I can learn more on these issues please?
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hello,

if you don't need the DBFCDX RDD, you should use the X# runtime.
Otherwise, you need to put the Vulcan runtime to the dependencies of your application.
What do you are using as IDE? XIDE or Visual Studio?

We are here to help!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Jeff,
BiggyRat wrote:This is probably just a required paradigm shift from me dealing with VO and before that, Clipper, but I just cannot work out what the hell I'm supposed to do to create an app.
I can understand that, when I moved to Vulcan from VO in 2010, I had the same problem. I however, made the decision to not "port" applications, but rather start from scratch. Can I maybe suggest you also look at my Data-driven article series? Data-driven Articles I followed a "Hello World" start to it all.
1. I DO NOT (and never have ) used Vulcan, but I DO have the apparently required DLL's which I've sourced from a thread here. Yet no matter what type of app I try to create other than X# (I'll come to THAT later) the compiler insists on looking in the VulcanConfig folder for dlls, which obviously doesn't exist as Vulcan has NEVER been installed, and it appears that the "free trial" link no longer exists....
2. I cannot create a DBServer instance as it says I can't "mix X# and VO"
3. Can't do anything in the DBServer editor anyway as both Import and Export buttons do nothing...
Just remember for VO specifics you need to have the Vulcan runtime. Bandol 8 that you probably have download does not have a XSharp.Runtime yet, FOX members have that already, and will be included in the next public/community release.
4. Even a BLANK new App won't compile without errors:
error XS0006: Metadata file 'VulcanVORDDClasses.dll' could not be found
error XS0006: Metadata file 'VulcanVOSystemClasses.dll' could not be found
error XS0006: Metadata file 'VulcanVOWin32APILibrary.dll' could not be found
Compilation failed (3 errors)
What IDE are you using? VS or XIDE? I would suggest XIDE when you start out, although 9 years down the line it is still my preferred IDE.
5. X# Keeps adding lines such as:
#include "VOGUIClasses.vh"
#include "Standard Menus.prg.vh"
#include "VOSystemLibrary.vh"
#include "VOSystemClasses.vh"
6. It also looks for "VIDE" I'm assuming V for Vulcan.... see point 1
Ok seems you in a sort of XIDE environment, but not on the latest version V1.13 I believe was the last one distributed with Bandol 8.
I cannot see how I can make any type of worthwhile app with X#. Everyone is trying to convince me X# is the way to go, and I'm sure it probably is, but I'll be buggered if I can make it work. I've experimented with many various types X#, VO, Vulcan etc no matter which, it won't compile.
XSharp (Core) is on par with c#, you can do anything in X# that is possible in c# basically and a bit more. Just don't confuse "VO/Vulcan" style coding then with what is possible in the .net world. Albeit a bit different.
I've been through as much help as I can find online, and I'm sure once it's started, I'll be ok. The whole .NET thing is not completely foreign to me as I used to program (albeit minimally I admit) in MS ACCESS 2000 using the Jet 4 engine, but it HAS been a VERY long time...
I think try to forget the MS-Access things you have done
Any useful advice as to where I can learn more on these issues please?
You came to the right place. Answer the questions I raised and we should get you going in no time.

X# greetings,
FFF

Post by FFF »

BiggyRat wrote: but I just cannot work out what the hell I'm supposed to do to create an app.
... Any useful advice as to where I can learn more on these issues please?
You could start by writing clearly, what you did. What did you install, what ide you try using, Then, what you try to do.

Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl,

Jeff's message reflects exactly what my own feeling was when I first tried to start with Vulcan and X#: in VO I knew what I could do, and where my errors were. In X# I was completely disoriented, nothing worked, I don't knew where to start, what to change and how to interpret the error messages.
It was very difficult for me to accept that I was a beginner with very limited possibilities, but high expectations - and I think for Jeff it is the same.
Start from scratch after having worked for many years with a tool where he is an expert is a very heavy task (at least I for myself asked my several times if I had to change my work because I was not more able to accomplish what I had to do).

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
wolfgang@riedmann.it
FFF

Post by FFF »

Wolfgang,
i know, and i'm with you.
But, when i write a message to get help, i always try to read it with the eyes of the addressee before sending, asking: "Do i understand what's the problem? Do i provide the necessary "base info" and a clear description what i tried and how i did it?" Similiar to writing a bug report ;)
That's what i missed.
BTW, i remember when i installed VO 1.0beta. Sat in front of screen, scratched my head and thought desperately "what on earth shall i do now" <vbg>

Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl,

you are right that a message should contain useful informations, but I think Jeff was in panic mode when he wrote this message, and we should consider that.
If you look at some of my early messages in the NG and here you may find similar messages.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
wolfgang@riedmann.it
Karl-Heinz

Post by Karl-Heinz »

Guys,

not sure if he´s using XIDE, but i think we should create a step by step XIDE tutorial that creates a predefined x#/vulcan app.

[START]

if there´s no vulcan installation, place all vulcan dlls and the sdk_defines.dll in a seperate directory e.g. C:XIDE_VN_DLLS

Start XIDE

1. Add a Application

Menu "Project" -> "Create New" -> "New Application"

select TabPage "X#" -> select "Standard VO MDI" -> and press [OK]

2. Add the missing sdk_defines.dll and change the References if the vulcan dlls are not in the GAC.

- Right click the application treeview item <References>
- select Tabpage "Browse" and press [Browse disk for dll files]
- Add from the C:XIDE_VN_DLLS dir the sdk_defines.dll

If the vulcan dlls are not in the GAC replace all vulcan GAC references with the vulcan DLLs
from the C:XIDE_VN_DLLS dir

3. Compile the app

- double click each error line and delete the mentioned #include "VOGUIClasses.vh" line in the source code.

NOTE: Because the MDI sample uses the VO Databrowser, the VO CATO*.DLLs must be in
the exe dir.

[END]

are there any improvements necessary, or is it understandable ?

regards
Karl-Heinz
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl-Heinz,
if you agree, I will test this on my tablet where no Vulcan is installed, and publish that with screenshots in the wiki.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
wolfgang@riedmann.it
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Karl-Heinz,
Karl-Heinz wrote:Guys,
not sure if he´s using XIDE, but i think we should create a step by step XIDE tutorial that creates a predefined x#/vulcan app.
I agree completely, his reference to VIDE just made me think he is trying to do it from XIDE.
are there any improvements necessary, or is it understandable ?
What Jeff did not mention, which version of X# is he using? I believe that also makes a difference since the community is still sitting on Bandol 8, while FOX is on Bandol 9 which includes the RT, VO assemblies etc...