XSharp 3, RDD

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
baramuse

XSharp 3, RDD

Post by baramuse »

Duly noted ! thanks for the hint !
Chris

XSharp 3, RDD

Post by Chris »

Hi Basile,
bmellac post=24585 userid=7110 wrote: How about ETA on v3, if any ?
That should be early 2023.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
wriedmann

XSharp 3, RDD

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Basile,
let me add one thing: X# has the concept of "dialects" that have different features.
For the migration of VO code you need the "VO" dialect that supports nearly all the language features of VO, like untyped variables and methods, untyped arrays, codeblocks and all datatypes.
Then there is the Core dialect, that is in fact C# with X# syntax, without the need of any X# runtime library, but also without support for the VO specific datatypes and features. In new projects, I'm using only the Core dialect, and when I need to access DBF data, I use a proper library that uses the VO dialect, but exports only datatypes that are supported by the .NET Framework.
I'm using that dialect in production since the very early days of X#, before the runtime libraries were available.
And even in the X# Core dialect you have access to some nice features like the preprocessor or the short properties syntax.

If you ask me why I'm using the X# Core dialect and not C#: the X# syntax is more explicit (a bit like Pascal that was developed as teaching language), and therefore easier to read and faster to understand: really important if you have to write code that should live and be maintained for more than 20 years (in fact, I have VO code that is more than 20 years old).
And then you can add a devteam with an excellent support and open ears for us programmers, and that is tecnology driven and not sales driven. That combined with the possibility to move our VO codebase to X# (we alone have several millions of code lines to maintain and to migrate) is a terrible value.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it