Winform 3rd Party assemblies not added to References

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Chris,

I reinstalled DevExpress and it seems to be working fine. Strange that the issue only affected X# not C#.

Also, please notice a very important difference which I mentioned in my a previous reply: when I add 3rd party control such as DevExpress or SyncFusion, the Specific Version property is set to False in X# as well as Microsoft DLLs, but in C#, the 3rd party references are to True and Microsoft DLLs are set to false. Please see images below that show the deference in a DevExpress dll reference:
Xsharpprop.jpg
Xsharpprop.jpg (72.4 KiB) Viewed 85 times
csharpref.jpg
csharpref.jpg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Not sure if this had any role on the issue I had.
Shouldn't X# handle the Specific Version property like C#?

Jamal

Edit: VB.NET behaves like C#.
robert

Post by robert »

Jamal,
1) The VB and C# project systems are based on the same codebase, so it is no coincidence that they work the same
2) This setting controls how the behavior if there is more than one version of the 3rd party component on your machine. With specific version set to True then it will not automatically bind to a newer version. With this setting set to false then it WILL bind to a newer version. You can argue what the right or expected behavior is. And why C# treats 3rd party assemblies different from Ms assemblies ?

Btw : the reason why the X# project XML is more verbose is this:
C# is only registering the strong name of the assemblies. This means that the assembly has to be registered in the GAC. Otherwise it will not be found.
We are also registering other information, to help you locate the file if you copy your project over to a machine where the control is not registered in the GAC.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Thanks for the info!