Image resize with FabPaintLib

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
lagraf

Post by lagraf »

Is it possible that Version 5.x only runs on 64 bit?
I only see previous versions for 32bit.
FFF

Post by FFF »

Could well be. Do you need 32bit?? You might try an older version, or, better, ask at their forum. Folks are relatively helpful there ;)
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

I wrote a COM library in C# which uses .NET System.Drawing where you can set the image size and dpi.
This is callable from VO after generating an Automation Server Class.

If you wish, I can post the the library and sample code on usage. I can't promise quality; that's for you to judge.
lagraf

Post by lagraf »

Hi Jamal,
I also have to select image cutouts which I have to crop out of the big image. Can your lib do this?
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Hi Franz,

No, it will only resize the image. First, try the attached library for sizing the image and if that's meets your expectation, then If you want to crop the image via mouse, then I guess I can add it based on some code from stackoverflow. This will be purely a .NET form callable from VO. The issue with this you won't be able to customize the form unless you know c# and have the source code of the lib which I will make available. If so, let me know I will write it in a few days; hopefully it will work as expected.

Jamal
Attachments
ResizeImageClassCOMLib.zip
(16.77 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
lagraf

Post by lagraf »

Hi Jamal,
thank you for your offer, but I already have a running implementation with ImageMagick and so you don't have to do the work (unless you need it too)! My App does the following with FabPaintLib:
- Open image
- Manipulate image (rotation, contrast, brightness, intensity, gray, invert) and much more
- Zoom in/out
- set and move cutout
- crop cutout

And here comes ImageMagick into play:
- I transfer the FabPaintLib coordinates into ImageMagick needs
- I start a commandline script which crops the cutout, resamples it to 72 dpi, resizes it to 283x397 and saves it

Another need ist to resample and resize full images to 283x397, here no cutout is needed. In both cases the quality of the result is important. ImageMagick brings a much better quality to output image than FabPaintLib which I used before for resampling and resizeing.

If your DLL could do this instead of ImageMagick it would be a benefit, ImageMagick needs an installation of 85MB, and the job is startet via commandline with no return code.

Franz
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Hi Franz,

Well, for now try the attached DLL in the previous post for image sizing; I thought that was your original requirement. It's only a few KB.
Actually, I will do the crop feature as an exercise later. It may come in handy for me some day.

Jamal

Note: please see the included readme.txt for DLL registration.
lagraf

Post by lagraf »

Meanwhile I tested some image processing libs and progs: PaintLib, GD, ImageMagick, RawTherapee. ImageMagick gives the best results in quality, I tested with commandline call.

Does anyone know how I can use ImageMagick DLL with VO 2.8 and which files do I need or do I have to install full IM?
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Franz,
ImageMagick gives the best results in quality
this is not really a surprise for me.... had expected something like that.
Does anyone know how I can use ImageMagick DLL with VO 2.8 and which files do I need or do I have to install full IM?
AFAIK you have to do a full install,and I would stick with the commandline call. Since there is no binding for VO, you have to study and to adapt the C API. I don't think anyone has done that already...
But it seems you like the hard way.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
lagraf

Post by lagraf »

Hi Wolfgang!
No I don't like and the user doesn't pay the hard way! If I have to install full prog and there's no easy way with one or a few DLLs I can use within VO, I do it with command line!
Thank you, Franz