XSharp builds on .Net Core

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
robert

XSharp builds on .Net Core

Post by robert »

The nice thing about .Net 5 is that you can bundle it with the app.
Previously the .Net Framework was installed globally in the GAC and in the Microsoft.Net subfolder inside Windows.
If you had developed against .Net Framework 4.6 and everything was working and then a Windows Update would update the .Net Framework then things could break.

With .Net 5 you can choose to deploy the version of .Net that you compiled against with the app, so you can be sure that updates to the machine will not break your app.
You can even include the DLLs that you used in the EXE. But as far as I know that will add the DLLs in some kind of ZIP format to the EXE and will unpack them when you run the app. The second time it detects that the DLLs are already unpacked and it will run without unpacking. If you run the app from a network folder then the DLLs will be unpacked to a folder in the users Temp folder.
I have created a testform app and its "local storage" is in a folder:
c:UsersrobertAppDataLocalTemp.nettestformkew2of4c.4wx
The last part of the name is based on a CRC of the content of the app. For my small Windows.Forms test app the size of this folder is about ~84 Mb.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu