Comments about "What's cooking"

Have some feedback and input to share?
Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
FFF

Post by FFF »

Chris,
FWIW, in my desktop i have to wait "some" seconds (connected with a 1GB line), accession from Mobilphone is slower...
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Karl,

Hmm, that's strange, my connection is literally exactly 100 times slower than yours! :)
Maybe it only has to do with the CPU...
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hi Wolfgang,

Very interesting.

"X# COM module to access PostgreSQL"

What stops you from using npgsql + postgresql without the pains of COM? I want to know to the "showstopper".

--

Rene
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

robert wrote:
ic2 wrote:Hello Robert,
About the SQL-DBF long term plans: what would be your educated guess when this could be used?

And one more question: according to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... /whats-new ado.net hasn't been updated for 4 years.

Doesn't that mean that ado.net is one of the future candidates to be depreciated, like Sliverlight or Windows Phone (and hence mean you should not base your long term plans on it)?
1) No release date yet for the SQL-DBF long term plans. We are now in the "proof of concept" phase
2) Ado.Net is not dead. I agree that that documentation page needs to be updated. But Ado.Net is part of .Net Core, .Net 5 and .Net 6.
If you look at the .Net Core repo on Github you will see that also the folder with Ado.Net code is updated very frequently:
https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/tree/ ... ystem/Data
Also Ado.Net is a vital building block for Entity Framework and many other .Net components.
RObert
I followed at twitter a key principal PM on Microsoft Data Access. There are tons of new features on ADO.NET but they rarely calls this as ADO.NET but simply as Data Access. What interested me most is data compression and encryption end to end (SSH, SSL and latest TLS). I am still young in this area but my major concern for months already in combination with gRPC.

I still in conceptual stage on Data Replacement Phase of our roadmap. Although, our data is already synced with PostgreSQL both at in-premises and cloud but ADS is still the Master Database. Second stage is complete removal of ADS and DBF from the equation.

--

Rene
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Chris,
Chris wrote: But are you really getting 30 seconds delays? In my machine it has indeed become slower which is a bit annoying, but I'm only talking about a 1-2 seconds delay. Maybe there's something else wrong in your machine, or maybe it is extremely overloaded?
This morning I got it immediately, also when I tried it again with F5. The previous few days it took between a bit under 30 seconds until well over 30 seconds once (I began timing after waiting a while, so my partly estimate is 1 minute).

And I am sure there is not something wrong in my machine as this would at least give some more performance issues. What happens from time to time is that some websites do not function correctly on Firefox. If it is slow again I will directly try it on Chromium based Vivaldi and report back. I have never seen any noticeable delay before so multiple overloads now and never before are not likely either.

Dick
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Rene,
Very interesting.
"X# COM module to access PostgreSQL"
What stops you from using npgsql + postgresql without the pains of COM? I want to know to the "showstopper".
this is only for VO. My X# applications are using npgsql directly.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
ic2

Post by ic2 »

This morning: 77 seconds.

Pretty interesting that it shows after all, without refreshing. But also pretty unusable.

Dick
robert

Post by robert »

Dick,
ic2 wrote:This morning: 77 seconds.
Pretty interesting that it shows after all, without refreshing. But also pretty unusable.
It should be solved now. The problem was in a component that I use to optimize the performance of the website.
It was splitting javascript to code that was loaded at startup and code that was loaded later to speed up the initial loading.
In reality it did not take 77 seconds to load everything but it needed user interventions (for example scrolling of the mouse wheel) to trigger a refresh.
If you were perfectly still and did not touch the keyboard or mouse in the browser window then it could happen that the "Latest Forum messages" and "Latest Comments" were not shown at all.
I have tuned the component now, and made it a bit less aggressive. This seems to have taken care of the problem.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Chris

Post by Chris »

Robert,
robert wrote:Dick,
It should be solved now. The problem was in a component that I use to optimize the performance of the website.
It was splitting javascript to code that was loaded at startup and code that was loaded later to speed up the initial loading.
In reality it did not take 77 seconds to load everything but it needed user interventions (for example scrolling of the mouse wheel) to trigger a refresh.
If you were perfectly still and did not touch the keyboard or mouse in the browser window then it could happen that the "Latest Forum messages" and "Latest Comments" were not shown at all.
I have tuned the component now, and made it a bit less aggressive. This seems to have taken care of the problem.
Haha, yeah that explains it completely for me, every time I open the website I instinctively always directly use the mouse wheel to go
check the latest posts. Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the message reply box, now in my firefox it looks like this:
reply_page.png
reply_page.png (31.4 KiB) Viewed 986 times
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
robert

Post by robert »

Chris,
I see that too in a flash but then the toolbar is shown.
I'll see if I can detect what causes this and clean that up as well.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu