Wishlist X#

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Kees Bouw

Wishlist X#

Post by Kees Bouw »

Fabrice post=23718 userid=312 wrote: Is this what you are looking for ??
Yes, you are describing the very rudimentary search option which is all there seems to be. The source file in bold AND in a separate column, repeated for each line. How efficient! In the column one would expect to see the method or function concerned, unfortunately VS or X# is not smart enough to determine that. I find it impossible to work like that, but since Dick and I are the only ones to have a problem with it, we must be doing something wrong. So I ask everyone: if you search for something and you are particularly interested in only a few methods, but your .prg contains let's say 100 methods, what would be the best way to do this?
FFF

Wishlist X#

Post by FFF »

Now i don't get you, too. I see in Fab's screenshot BELOW each "bold" line the found entities listed?
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
wriedmann

Wishlist X#

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl,
we XIDE users are a minority even between X# users (but IMHO XIDE is a beast in productivity).
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Chris

Wishlist X#

Post by Chris »

Robert, Fabrice,

I think Dick/Kees are referring to showing in the search results, in columns, what is the name of the enclosing class/entity etc of each hit. Also myself I cannot imagine me working without this feature, but unfortunately this is not how VS works, its find results window(s) only display plain text per entry, with only filename and line content shown. This not only lacks crucial information, but is also very difficult to read. Not at all your fault of course, it's just how it is.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
ic2

Wishlist X#

Post by ic2 »

Hello Karl,
FFF post=23723 userid=259 wrote:Now i don't get you, too. I see in Fab's screenshot BELOW each "bold" line the found entities listed?
Yes, in Fabrice's screenshot it seems to work a we want it because he searches for VOID. As this is on the end of each (void) method we do see the method names.

But this is when you search for something else:
ShowLongError.jpg
ShowLongError.jpg (145.46 KiB) Viewed 267 times
Now we have 18 ShowLongError results in 1 .prg, in probably about 10 methods. If I would see the name of the method, instead of a useless line number, I could, often at least, directly see which one I was really searching for. Now I have to open up 'til 10 methods before I know that.

Also recently I searched for something for which I wanted to know if it was used in methods or functions. There were over 100 hits. In VS I have to open them one by one and count. Very, very time wasting.

Is it now more clear why we find this so poor?

Dick
Fabrice

Wishlist X#

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Dick,
ok I think I got you :thumbsup:
So here, MS won't be of any help I think.
To achieve that, it we would have to write an extension, rewriting a kind of Search, and at the same time use the internal Items DB, to give you a more precise localisation information.

Fab
XSharp Development Team
fabrice(at)xsharp.eu
ic2

Wishlist X#

Post by ic2 »

Hello Fabrice,
Fabrice post=23730 userid=312 wrote: ok I think I got you
So here, MS won't be of any help I think.
To achieve that, it we would have to write an extension, rewriting a kind of Search, and at the same time use the internal Items DB, to give you a more precise localisation information.
Good I could make it clear finally. What I would like to hear from you:

1 Do you agree that method/function info missing can actually be a major burden? Kees, Frank and I wonder why this isn't raised as a major shortcoming (unless others know something that works that we don't know)
2 Is there any chance (as far as you can say now) that this can be created in a reasonable time?

That MS won't be of any help is nothing new :angry:

We are, I would nearly say, desperately, seeking ways to gain productivity/time, close the gap a bit more between VO & VS so we can justify continuing with X# conversions. We do realize that there are other advantages but for multiple of our products the time loss weighs heavier...

Dick
Chris

Wishlist X#

Post by Chris »

Hi Dick,

It's just because different people have different needs, different ways of working and preferences. Also for myself, the lack of this feature and many other VS related things would be totally a showstopper for my work, but the fact is that NOONE else here (apart from you guys and me :)) has complained about this/those. Different people like and can cope with different things, it's amazing to see how different we all are!
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
ic2

Wishlist X#

Post by ic2 »

Hello Chris,

Some people also tend to think "it's new so it must be better", and the longer you would work in VS and not in VO, the more used you get to work with a mainly crippled environment. Plus that most people would think that the X# team can't fix it and I always think the opposite ;)

There are things in my wishlist which I can imagine would differ in importance for some, but anyone with a seriously sized project must have had this situations at least once in a while as I showed in the picture and described with the 100+ entries I really had to open one by one and count manually. While in VO I can even save the search results containing all info.

Without WPF in some of our projects we would likely have used Xide already.

Dick
wriedmann

Wishlist X#

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,
again: you can write WPF applications with XIDE, and I'm pretty sure that the code to build a form is much cleaner and easier to read and to maintain than the XAML horror.
That is the main part of code that builds a form:
10-09-2022_07-28-27.png
10-09-2022_07-28-27.png (341.54 KiB) Viewed 267 times
and this is a part of the form:
10-09-2022_07-29-45.png
10-09-2022_07-29-45.png (57.5 KiB) Viewed 267 times
This a project I'm working on now - entirely using XIDE and code built windows.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it