Explorer Sample runtime error

This forum is meant for examples of X# code.

rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hello Chris,

Done it!

I can now run Explorer Sample on VS 2015 and made some adjustment in XIDE, which by the I love the look and feel due to proximity to VO IDE. How I wish VO IDE was re-designed with XIDE. Anyway....

Regards,

Rene
FFF

Post by FFF »

Chris Pyrgas wrote:ps2. Karl, I am pretty sure the error message is correct, probably some part of the path you specified is not correct . Can you check again pelase?
Chris,
just now, restarted machine, restarted Xide, F9, i get the same error as you see in the pic. Where else could i write this path, if it is NOT the correct place?
Xide_Strangeness_2.PNG
Xide_Strangeness_2.PNG (11.5 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Wanted to attach the whole proj, but the site won't accept the size, so, if you want, it is at:
https://filebin.net/n4vxsnr9gm6mqts1

HAND
Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Karl,

I am sorry, you are right, it's not a typo in the path as I had suspected. Turns out it's a quirk of the resource compiler (rc.exe), when you use paths inside double quotes, then backslashes must be doubled (guess they are treated as escaped characters). So in your case, you'd need to change the resource contents to:

ICONONE Icon "C:UsersKarl2Desktop_CodeReneExplorer SampleBinONE.ICO"
ICONTWO Icon "C:UsersKarl2Desktop_CodeReneExplorer SampleBinTWO.ICO"

and now it should work! You learn something every day..

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
FFF

Post by FFF »

Should ;)

error XS0006: Metadata file 'D:Project VS14PhoenixXSharpExplorer SampleSDK_DEFINES.dll' could not be found

This path certainly is not on my machine, but i found it under "Location" in the Properties/References..., so removed it - lots of errors <g>
Searched, and referenced from the XPorter folder, now:
error XS0103: The name 'CRLF' does not exist in the current context 12,16
so, rememembered some posts ago, removed the nostd switch,
now compiled, but crashed later due to missing Catoxxx <vbg>.
Tried to reference them via References, but that failes for missing managed parts, so copied them to bin, now at file open it crashes due to missing customer.dbf, found the path to dbf is hardcoded...

Finally decided, i'm not sooo interested in this sample...

BTW, would be fine, if Xide could learn to add the missing "escape " to the resources, that's a gotcha one very likely will have forgotten next time - although i wonder, how the error message gets build - you see, (only) the last "" is missing AND it swallows the first letter of the icon filename.

Karl
Regards
Karl
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Karl,

Yes, this sample (and most samples in VO) use hardcoded paths. If you had ported it in your own machine, then the paths would had been ok for you.

About the backslashes, well, that's a string inside a text file, I don't think it's a good idea for an IDE to make automatic changes to your strings :)

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
FFF

Post by FFF »

Hi Chris,
obviously you are right ;)
Started Xporter, pointed to the Vo-samples folder, run.
Started Xide, added the viproj to my projects, opened, compiled, run,
- and crashed, as i (again) forgot to copy the Cato files :evil: to my bin folder
- did this, run et voila.

Great work!

Karl
(got adventurous, thought, i might as well try to port the whole Samples folder, Xporter allowed this, but the result does not contain any app, due to the nested structure ;-(.
So, back to one to one, had a go with the AdvancedEdit sample -> smooth, cool!
Regards
Karl
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Karl,

Ah, good point, maybe we can make the VO exporter read nested folders as well...will have a look.

Also a small tip, in order to open the XIDE project, you can just doubleclick on the .viproj file, select XIDE.exe as the app to open it (this needs to be done only once of course) and that will just open that project, without needing to add it to the projects list.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
FFF

Post by FFF »

Chris Pyrgas wrote:Also a small tip, in order to open the XIDE project, you can just doubleclick on the .viproj file, select XIDE.exe as the app to open it (this needs to be done only once of course) and that will just open that project, without needing to add it to the projects list
Ey,cool. Never thought of this, thx!
Regards
Karl
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hi Karl,

If this is the "Explorer Sample" I uploaded days ago, I accidentally included a TEMP folder that have the copy of all DLLs from VO redist folder. Please delete it and you can upload that samples for Chris perusal.

Thanks,

Rene