Visual Studio flaws while starting a project?

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi all,

maybe someone is able to put this together for the wiki at docs.xsharp.it?

So we have a reference for it... Or I could write it down, but I have my doubts that I'm the best person for it as I work with Visual Studio only when I'm forced to do so (a few times every week).

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Terry

Post by Terry »

Karl

The reason for this is quite simple: it is due to the way the human brain works.

Phil has explained things in a totally logical way - which is the way the computer "solves things".

This logic is understandable, but is far more complex and detailed, than the way the human brain would tackle it.

The brain is not good at assimilating vast amounts of detail and bringing it together - which is the essence of understanding.

The computer, on the other hand, can bring data together in detail and quickly. That does not mean it understands - it most definitely does not. It is the reason I say AI is a contradiction.

For ease of human understanding vast amounts of data have to be "translated" (again by logic) into some human recognisable form - say diagram. eg UML

Terry
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Robert,

Your explanation makes sense, but the 3 levels, which you get when you check Create Directory, does not. But ok, I now know how to prevent that.

Also I imported a C# project in my X# solution using Add/existing Project. What happens is this:
1 I have D:XSharpProjectsiConnectMailReader. This directory is empty except another directory iConnectMailReader
2 In that second iConnectMailReader I have the solution and project files, directories Debug, Release etc but ALSO the directory IC2CSMethods, containing the included C# project.

I would have expected this to be placed one level higher, next to the 2nd iConnectMailReader (the X# project)

Probably I should have done the import differently?

One could argue that with VS you can organize everything as you like. But my experience is that if you do the default things, it's a mess and if you want to change it, your code is not working anymore. I never had to thing about this with VO.

Dick
Terry

Post by Terry »

Wolfgang

maybe someone is able to put this together for the wiki at docs.xsharp.it?

I haven't used VS with XSharp so can only comment on the basis of using it with C#

But whilst I don't want to appear negative, I would question the value of this.

VS is a comprehensive and stable product, with a UI designed to be understood as intuitively as possible. Using it is IMO the only way to learn. It is "expanding" in breadth of capability on an almost daily basis.

Since your doc is intended for those new to X-Sharp any tie ups to underlying directory structures and so on can come much further up the learning curve.

Terry
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Karl and others,

My thoughts as to why this is so ... some guys want a quick and easy solution to what is a essentially a complex problem - or set of problems.

Developing modern .NET projects in Visual Studio is a VERY visual, as well as complex process. Hence I write the eNotes in the style I do. There needs to be plenty of related visual content.

I copied the visual 'walk-through' style that seemed to work for me when reading, and following, MSDN eNotes.

But then it would appear that Microsoft documentation is not the 'flavour of the month' with forum guys either :unsure:

To my mind a quick 'Google' can never really address complex development issues. And I confess that yes, I do 'Google' myself, but it only solves a few issues that I have.

Still, the World is a Wonderful place ;-0)

Cheers,
Phil.
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Terry,
But whilst I don't want to appear negative, I would question the value of this.
IMHO it is important for people coming from VO to understand how Visual Studio structures a project.

I had my problems to understand this when I first tried to work with it. For sure, the wiki cannot describe all, but at least it can be a starting point and link to more detailled content on other sites.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi Wolfgang

Fair point. To be honest VO is now a distant memory to me - looking back I can see how big a direct jump from VO would be.

Terry
robert

Post by robert »

Dick,
I think I know where your problem with the extra folder layer comes from :
newproject.png
newproject.png (17.15 KiB) Viewed 216 times
The Location on the dialog above is the Parent location for the solution.
Visual Studio creates the solution folder below this directory.
The name of the folder that it creates is the same as the name of the Solution.
You cannot control the name of this folder
So if you try to specify a complete folder name in this text field, then your solution will be created in a folder below the folder you specify.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu