.Net simple database - what to use?

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Dick,

In XIDE, "Project" means the same thing as in VO, a container for applications and libraries. Also, in XIDE terminology, those apps/libs are called "Applications" and/or "Libraries" :) :) :)

Same as in VO, when you open XIDE, you have a screen where you can create a new project, or open an existing one. Additionally, you can import a (previously exported) complete project from a .vipef file (this functionality does not exist in VO).

When you select and open a project, you can create new apps in it, exactly the same way as VO, and you can also import them from .viaef files, which is sort of the equivalent of .aef files for the VO IDE.

IIUC, Wolfgang sent you .viaef files, which you can import by creating new project first (when XIDE opens) and when the main IDE window opens, select Application->Import Application.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Juraj

Post by Juraj »

Hi Wolfgang,

I would like to ask for your advice:

1. on the SQlite download page is more dlls to download,
     or is a better download page

2. What is your experience with the size of db file and its shared into a small network

Juraj
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Juraj,

for the download: yes, there are a lot. I would not use any setup, only the binaries, and the statically linked ones, so you would not need any VS runtime.
And then it depends on your needs, and what you are targeting as framework and for your target machines. If you have to XP machines (I hope not), you will need 4.0, otherwise you can take 4.5, 4.6 or 4.7.

About the size: I have no experiences because I'm treating SQLite databases like documents, i.e. one order = one database file. In this manner I can distribute them over the internet and keep different versions.
But basically SQLite is not a true multiuser database. You will have no problems if many users access the same database readonly, but I would not use it as database for shared write access.

If you need a true multiuser database, you will need something like PostgrSQL or Firebird.

Of course DBFs are a choice for small networked environments too, and maybe later a DBF Server.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Juraj,

I can add some recent experience. I am working on a UWP Music Player to program some functionality I wanted to use not present in existing music players. I still use my Windows Phone which I like pretty much despite my criticism on multiple Windows 10 issues, but my phone works on the Anniversary Update with no further feature updates.

I found an existing player project on github as a good starting point. First I had to downgrade it from 16299 (Fall Creator's) to 14393 Anniversary, most of the work was removing and sometimes replacing XAML tags. The next problem I faced was it used a NuGet package Microsoft.Data.Sqlite which required .Net Standard 2.0. First I though, well, that's an old .Net version, even this Windows Phone is one >4, but Microsoft thought it was logical to introduce a new name with it's own number; .Net Standard means a collection of minimum requirements, so version 2.0 doesn't mean .Net 2.0 and here W10 16299 is one of the requirements.

I had to perform a trick mentioned in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -databases to download, via NuGet, an older Microsoft.Data.Sqlite package and this works. In the program it is used to handle playing list, which could be something as simple as just the songs on 1 selected CD. It creates the SQL database in a user directory (phone & Pc) and uses it from there. When I asked this question, I finally decided to start with VO and DBFCDX. This worked fine and I could create it much quicker than any project I would start in VS (which usually involves hours of problem solving which is almost absent in VO). There's still a lot to do however. Now I have this Music Player package and all the replies here I have a good chance to study how SQLite is implemented and for smaller applications this seems to be a good starting point for moving my VO program to .Net making it a UWP.

For larger processes Postgress could be an option.

I also tried https://github.com/oysteinkrog/SQLite.Net-PCL but that didn't solve the original downgrade problem I mentioned.

I hope it helps you a bit despite I only used it for UWP.

Dick
Juraj

Post by Juraj »

Hi Dick,

thank you for the SQlite information. I'm currently building a desktop application, but it's going to be a transition to UWP and your experience will be useful.

Juraj
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Juraj,

I've created a number of UWP apps and have an extensive log of problems & solutions (or workarounds) so when you are transforming it to a UWP app feel free to post any problems you encounter - I may have had that problem too and can help you with it.
If it's your goal to have it available as Windows Store app you should be aware that you can use the Desktop App Converter for that. This procedure is not simple and there are a lot of problems with the app, as with most Microsoft products, but in this case I had more than excellent support from a MS employee responsible for this program and I managed to post my app PhotOrganize + a later update. Also here don't hesitate to ask for info; my notes can literally save you days of troubleshooting.

Dick
Juraj

Post by Juraj »

Hi Dick

I should ask you how you work with the date in SQLite.
1. how to create a column in a table that will only enclose the date, no time
2. how to set the date format DD-MM-YYYY

Juraj