Break only when Debugging

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
FFF

Post by FFF »

Frank,
bServer Lib is missing....
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
FFF

Post by FFF »

You don't get Warning at F9?
EDIT -> your first sample.
Regards
Karl
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Frank,

I think I see what you mean, that when you simply run the app, inside or outside the IDE, you do not get information about what caused the error. In order to get this information, surround all your code in Start() with a TRY...CATCH block:

Code: Select all

FUNCTION Start() AS INT
TRY
// program code...
CATCH oException AS Exception
// Display exception
END TRY
this way you will catch yourself an error when it happens in your program, exit gracefully and either display the error on screen (for example with System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(oException:ToString())), or save it in a log file etc. The Exception class gives you plenty tools to get info about what happened.

For the DataWindow with ArrayServer sample, with this method you should be able to see where the error is happening, But much easier while debugging the app, does not it tell you when and where the error happened? If it's hard to figure what's going on, please post a full zipped sample so we can have a look as well.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Frank Müßner

Post by Frank Müßner »

FFF wrote:You don't get Warning at F9?
EDIT -> your first sample.
No, i get no error with <F9> Compile :-)
Frank Müßner

Post by Frank Müßner »

Hi Chris,

try / catch block noting change :-(

i sen d you a complete Sample

Frank

I have change back to Vulcan Runtime and there the code work without error.
FFF

Post by FFF »

Strange, i do...
Regards
Karl
Chris

Post by Chris »

Guys, Frank has sent me a sample, the error that is occurring is being "eaten" by the code inside the SDK classes (in a BEGIN..END SEQUENCE), so it is being handled and a global TRY..CATCH will not catch it. We will probably need to do something about this and try to simulate VO's error reporting system to what extent is possible at least. Anyway, now let's have a look what causes the problem with the ArrayServer in the first place...
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
Chris

Post by Chris »

OK, found the problem, we have not implement the NoIVarPut() / NoIVarGet() functionality in the x# runtime and the ArrayServer code depends on this. Should not be difficult to implement, Frank will try to send you a fix for that asap, thanks for the report!
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Chris,

PMFJI,

a functionality to get errors out of "begin-end sequence" constructs is absolutely needed.

In VO, it was perfectly legal and common to write such constructs without treating an error because the global errorblock catched the error - and my onw code contains tons of such code.

In Vulcan or X# such errors go lost, and I have searched several times to find out where my code failed in the X# version.
IMHO, there should be the possibility to set an error handler to some global variable in the runtime, and when translating "begin - end sequence" without "recover" statement, the compiler should insert a call to that error handler in the "catch" block.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Wolfgang,

Maybe something like that could help, but it will still be nowhere near what VO does. In VO, even if you have no BEGIN..END SEQUENCE statement at all, you can still trap errors in an error block and decide what you will do, if code will resume after the line that generated the error, if execution will stop, a message will be disaplyed etc etc. None of this is possible to do in .Net, the core runtime of VO was designed from the ground up to support something like that, while the .Net Framework runtime wasn't. Of course Robert can give more info on how the internals of VO work.

My thinking was to change the SDK code itself, to add more BEGIN..END SEQUENCE statements than are already used, in order to provide more "local" error handling, reporting and continuation of code execution as much as possible. Your suggestion could help as well, to help with reporting/logging of the errors. This needs some good thinking and investigation, maybe one of the first things to do once the x# runtime is fully done and debugged.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

chris(at)xsharp.eu