Visual FoxPro forum

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
CharlieDenver

Visual FoxPro forum

Post by CharlieDenver »

Hello again and many thanks for replying

The reason I wasn't sure about the evaluation was I'm not sure how far along the developers are with the VFP implementation. I guess the issue for me in the short term is the command line

Not sure if this is the best place for the following post but I'd be glad to start a new thread if it's appropriate

As a scenario, I receive data and I need to do a quick assesment of it, it's usually a mess. I'll use some functions to import it into DBF's then I'll browse the data and quickly clean it up a bit, then we'll do a quick match with other data and then if it checks out we'll run it through the system to bring it in to SQL, but it's that initial stage that I can't do without - and I'm concerned that one day VFP will no longer work ? and I use it a lot because it's quick and easy.

This is just an example of my last hour typing and I call 2 functios which I've also detailed - I don't need to know detail, but I would like to know if I could still work in this way to get a quick job done using x# , in a command line way and if so a leg up into that environment so I can start to work with x# in that way (I hope that makes sense)

I've attached a txt file with this information for reference
Look forward to some views about this and maybe help with an initial direction to take

Phillip
Attachments
sample.txt
(7.53 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
lumberjack

Visual FoxPro forum

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Phillip,
CharlieDenver wrote:Hello again and many thanks for replying
The reason I wasn't sure about the evaluation was I'm not sure how far along the developers are with the VFP implementation. I guess the issue for me in the short term is the command line
Not sure if this is the best place for the following post but I'd be glad to start a new thread if it's appropriate
Can you maybe just tell us in what format do you receive the data? CSV/ etc.?

Visual FoxPro forum

Post by CharlieDenver »

Hi Johan
Usually XLSX, but can be SDF, CSV any format really, and never a defined structure for these add hoc files
If it's data we get regulary from one source we write procedures, (that's all ok), it's these one off data files that I need to work with in the command line - I won't get away from that need - Once I get get that data I assess it and work with it ad hoc, then I format it if we need to load it into our system routines - this is very much about understanding if I can work ad hoc as per the sample.txt, - I can develop these elements but first off I need to know if I can manipulate data like I can in the VFP command window - there I am at home and can control data quickly - once I establish if I can do this as effectivley with say x# I can really get my teeth into it.
lumberjack

Visual FoxPro forum

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Phillip,
Have a look at xsi.exe.
I am not really an expert on it, but this might be something to look at. It is found in the XSharpbin folder
lumberjack

Visual FoxPro forum

Post by lumberjack »

Here is a link to at least give you some background information as a start.
lumberjack

Visual FoxPro forum

Post by lumberjack »

If you just do a xsi search from the top of the page, you will find some forum messages regarding xsi.

This one probably a good first read

Visual FoxPro forum

Post by CharlieDenver »

Thanks very much that was really helpful
cetorn123

Visual FoxPro forum

Post by cetorn123 »

Hi,

I am here because of a link in Foxite. I started developing application using Clipper Summer 87 then converted my Payroll & Timekeeping applications to VIsual Foxpro. Since then I have been using Visual Foxpro 9 up to present.

I been looking for ways to migrate to other Languages/Environment to no avail.