Exe fails?

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
FFF

Exe fails?

Post by FFF »

Interesting,thx. Yes, Defender here....
EDIT: Following the link, i tried the solution at the end of the article with "DISM..." - All three calls succeeded at 100%, - but my exe still crashs, sniff.
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
FFF

Exe fails?

Post by FFF »

Advice asked: i could try to restore to system-checkpoint from July, 8th - would you think that a good idea?

TIA
K.
Regards
Karl
Jamal

Exe fails?

Post by Jamal »

So, it is only when you print??

Wild guess!! May be you have a corrupted printer driver! Uninstall the driver and find if there is an updated version and install, otherwise remove and install again.
FFF wrote: Just tried, but i have no other machine with an installed VN anymore...
Meanwhile found, that all funtionality seems to work, except calls to printing routines, which access my customer table. But at that point, this table is already in use, showing the actual record in a datawindow. Does that make any sense?
FFF

Exe fails?

Post by FFF »

Yes, ultimately it would be printing. But the crash appears way upstream, while building the data to later send to printer driver.
Will rethink over night, probably going back to restore point might be the safest option...
Jamal wrote:So, it is only when you print??

Wild guess!! May be you have a corrupted printer driver! Uninstall the driver and find if there is an updated version and install, otherwise remove and install again.
FFF wrote: Just tried, but i have no other machine with an installed VN anymore...
Meanwhile found, that all funtionality seems to work, except calls to printing routines, which access my customer table. But at that point, this table is already in use, showing the actual record in a datawindow. Does that make any sense?
Regards
Karl
wriedmann

Exe fails?

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl,

to make your VN application work, you don't need any machine with VN installed. The installation of the runtime alone should be enough.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Chris

Exe fails?

Post by Chris »

Hi Karl,

I got your project file, but I am missing an .ini file required by your app, can you please send this as well? Also the .dbf please, it will save me the time locating which one it is.
Also did you try to run the app through the debugger? Did it tell you in exactly which line the error occurred?
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Terry

Exe fails?

Post by Terry »

Hi Karl

Unfortunately most of the foregoing is guesswork.

The fact that the update has brought up only one immediatedly identifiable error points towards that update having been correctly installed as intended.

MS will have submitted the update itself to a rigorous check within its computerised "Environment Model" before release.

On the balance of probabilities it is likely that somewhere, at some depth in your program execution chain there is something which clashes with MS specifications. Not necessarily in your own code.

I would try to put in some strategy to pinpoint the cause. Going back to a previous situation is akin to kicking the ball down the road. Things will come back to bite you eventually.

Firstly can you print through any other program? A driver fault would probably, but not necessarily, prevent this.

Secondly it may be worthwile putting a few MessageBoxes (say showing List Lengths and so on) at various strategic points in you program. You may find they are not being called at all or perhaps twice when your mental concept of the program structure has them only called once.

Remember two wrongs do not make a right, even though a wrong may cancel out the "wrongness" of another wrong.

I am sure I am not the only one to have found my programs were not working in the way I had always thought.

Terry
FFF

Exe fails?

Post by FFF »

Folks,
as usual, Chris came to rescue. It seems, the table is somehow "corrupt". Replacing it with an old version (from 2012 ;)), the app works as usual.
For me it's still a mystery, how it is possible that this one table opens in Datawindow, skips, searches, and then crashes the app from this some actions, which at that point of crash do nothing more than a Fieldget?

Good night and thx for assistance.
Regards
Karl
Chris

Exe fails?

Post by Chris »

Hi Karl,

It's because only some of the records are corrupted, and not the whole of them, just the memos I think, some records had corrupted memo headers. So the error happened only when needing to use the memos of those specific records. I think you told me that once you manipulated this dbf with an external tool, pretty sure this was what corrupted it.

In any case, very glad it is all working fine for you now!

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu