Who is using Visual Studio 2017 for Universal Apps?

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
FFF

Post by FFF »

Any reason we see the larger part of your post twice? ;)

BTW, just finally managed to convince WindowsUpdate to run successfully on wife's laptop - after it tried in vain for some hours. One of the real nasties is, that you can't stop the updater in it's tries.
For lurkers:
a) net stop wuauserv from admin prompt,
b) failed: "couldn't stop service"
c) after some long time, updater told (wrongly): failed because of reboot ,
d) retry a)
e) now stop succeeds <g>
f) regsvr32 %windir%system32wups2.dll
g) succeeds!
h) net start wuauserv
i) open winupdate - and finally: Success!

Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Any reason we see the larger part of your post twice? ;)

Hello Karl,

Out of completely joy that I finally got something working I guess...
I edited it. I had some collateral damage in the installation - the Phone emulators were gone and after reinstalling I got one of the always helpful VS messages in VS2015:

DEP0001 : Unexpected Error: DEP0001 : Unexpected Error: -1988946668

but in VS2017 it actually worked. Loading the project is terribly slow compared to VS 2015 (hilarious that VS2017 is actually advertised as many times faster as VS 2015, what was I thinking when attempting to install it...) but it does work.

BTW, just finally managed to convince WindowsUpdate to run successfully on wife's laptop - after it tried in vain for some hours.

You tried to get the Creator's Update? Very, very brave Karl. How do the new Microsoft advertisements look in Explorer? Did they find more ways to annoy the user?

Here's a bit of background http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/17/14956 ... e-explorer

Dick
FFF

Post by FFF »

Dick wrote:You tried to get the Creator's Update? Very, very brave Karl.
Ah, no ;) - 1603, machine was somewhat behind...

Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Dick, Karl et al,

CARE ! - Some are 'Release's and the others are 'Pre-release's.

Creator seems to be the name of the last two Insider offerings.

Articles on the web seem to often refer to the latest version as the 'Release' one. Hence some confusion, I think.

This is what my system reports - remember, I have gone back a step (version) from the latest, because of my 'SnagIt tool' :-
Win10Updates_01.jpg
Win10Updates_01.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Insider 15063 is what I am on now and the Insider version 16170 is what broke Snagit.

Do not comment about confusing etc. ;-0((

But at least I could go back to the previous version of Windows 10.

Hope this helps clarify and clear the muddy waters !?
Cheers,
Phil.
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Morning Dick,

Thanks for this interesting feed-back, it does fit all the facts and observations at this end it would seem.

The VS Installer for 2017 definitely needs some work to make it 100% okay. And plenty of testing up front.

Since it is designed to allow individual developers to 'Modify' what is contained in the VS installation - from a visual IDE perspective, then Modifying should work and definitely NOT break the VS installations on a PC system.

Remember I had both an 'Enterprise' and a 'Community' version of 2017 working happily, and side by side on my office desktop platform.

In trying to modify the install of Community, and a couple of other sensible related similar 'things' I must have had the Installer remove one or more 'bits' or 'workload' sets. This then broke everything it would appear, by not removing a folder it later checked and would not over-write.

Yes, MS in their wisdom (and it does make sense to me) have installs so that Folders are parts used by multiple versions of 2017. So break things for one version and you have broken things for them all - I call that brittle design even though it may save lots of disk space.

YES, I suppose I could install a Hyper-V virtual machine etc., etc. - BUT - I can't be bothered, AND, the Installer checks itself for updates regularly so, just maybe, they fix it soon. Maybe a fix will come before I get a VM up and running.

Fingers crossed - I will report back if things change for the better / good.

Cheers,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Phil,

only to clarify: the current Windows 10 release is Build 15063, and if you installed all current security updates, it is 15063.138.

The Insiders builds are going forward, but the release version of 1703 remains 15063.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Phil Hepburn

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Nice one Wolfgang - THANKS !

Phil.